1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external device is slow w/ USB 2, worked fine internally, why???

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by venturis, Jun 12, 2007.

1. venturis

venturis Member

i've got an external burner (112 IDE pioneer attached to external casing which converts to USB 2.0).

When I use it for reading, the speed goes up to 7000KB/s, then fall back to 4500KB/s. Im using ASUS P5B motherboard & Core 2 Duo 6420(just bought it).

I tried to isolate the problem, plugged it to my older computer, it worked fine (more than 10000KB/s). Tried internally in the new comp, also worked fine.

So its definetely not the burner nor the external casing adaptor cause it worked on my old comp. Both comp also use the same system (XP sp 2). Connection should be USB 2.0 (otherwise wont go up to 7000KB/s, cause USB 1 only up to 1500KB/s, also its a P5B).

Does anyone know what it might be?

Thx for your help.

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

It could be that the USB port is being accessed by something else which slows down the transfer speeds.

3. venturis

venturis Member

The usb is for the one burner only. Theorically even one port USB 2.0 would be able to handle 5 burners with a read rate @11KB/s.

I tried on 3 diff comp w/ 3 diff motherboard, but all using INTEL chipset all have the same problem (slow read/write speed).

The other comp that the burner is working fine is using SiS chipset, so the intel chipset could be the problem.

According to my friend, another possibility is the page file size, since the read rate is going up, then slowing down. Tried changing the page file size, still no luck.

I believe there would be a few people have the same problem w/ external device (maybe Hard Drive). Maybe its my solution too...

Thx...

4. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Yea, could be the Intel chipset causing the problems. Try doing an update of everything in Device Manager and see if that helps.