1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external dvd recorder

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by rtrg, Nov 10, 2018.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have 4 formats of recording units, a vcr, a vcr/ dvd recorder, a dvd recorder and a dvd recorder that records to hdd. All have conventional composite inputs and outputs. All can record to various dvd media. What would I need in cables/software in order to SEND desktop A/V TO any of these units? I know recording would be done in real time. I am not concerned about copy protections as my media player removes them, or at least I think so, as the player can play ANY commercial dvd I have tried. I also use a screen recorder than burn to dvd from the EXPLORER WINDOW. I can record any file saved in this window to the in built writer. In this way I can make 2 copies at the same time, either 2 dvds or 1 dvd and one VHS. There are available usb ports. NO conventional composite video port. I know of no desktop that provides one. I am also using a PC to TV converter to to send COMPOSITE video to my TV. I send audio FROM the audio line out. Can I tap into those connections to send A/V to record on one of these units? I do NOT wish to add an internal card as I do not know what slots are provided and what drivers/ software would be needed. I want to keep this simple.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

if i read this right all you want to do is burn a/v files from your pc to a burner?if this is right then a $15 internal dvd burner is simplest.ive never had to install drivers (firmware),just plug and play.depending on your pc case you should have a slot for a burner.one power connection and 1 sata data connection (same as your hdd) and bobs your uncle.then you just use whatever burning software you have to make your dvd. might also help to know your pc specs as well as what case you have.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Not quite correct. I have a stand alone dvd recorder wich records to any writeable media, no hdd included. I have the desktop for that. I am using a pc to tv converter to send vga video to tv through composite line in. audio is sent via the line out. To the composite audio line in. Can I use these same connections to feed the recorder using the same composite line ins? I can use the coax connector to monitor the tv if needed. The other tv connectors do not count as they do not exist at the pc or recorder. If this is a simple fix than I will try it. I have used a combination of this converter connected to desktop #1 to a capture device and software to record on desktop #2. Works fine. The only difference is desktop #2 will be replaced with the recorder. I am hoping the resulting recording will play in my cd drive. If not I will use the recorder/tv to play the dvd. Advice please.

On a different note how do I upload images to AFTERDAWN forums. Probably to ALL OTHER TOPICS. An email would be nice so I can attach these image in an email.

4. aldan

aldan Active member

knew it was too simple.lol.when you are replying to a post there is an upload a file button right by the post reply.click it and choose your file to upload.a picture of this equipment would probably be truly worth a thousand words.lol