1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Enclosure Hell!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bkbyrne, Mar 29, 2005.

1. bkbyrne

bkbyrne Member

Hi Guys,

I'm going through sheer hell at the moment. I have a compaq laptop. Have installed windows 2000. Bought a External Enclosure to run my philips dvd/cd drive. I switch on the laptop, plug in the enclosure including connected drive. Pc seems to recognise the "Mass Storage" device. But i get no icons in my computer and no assigned letter. I've been into device manager but don't really know what to look for. I though it would be plug and play.....very simple!

It used to work on windows 98 using the same equipment.

HELP ME PLEASE!!

thanks,

Barry

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hiya Barry,

Plug and Play is actually a misnomer since it's actually closer to Plug and Pray ;)

Have you searched the Windows database for any possible conflicts or patches having to do with enclosures and Windows 2000?

Are you able to test the enclosure on another PC to determine if the drive/enclosure is at fault?

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Is it USB or firewire (or both)? Generally USB enclosures come with a driver and firewire enclosures don't need them. If there are USB drivers involved it's generally better to load the drivers before plugging in the drive.

Also what brand and model is the enclosure?

4. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I bought an ADS systems enclosure from Wal Mart on clearance for $35 (USB). I installed a Maxtor 160GB hard drive in it. When I first plugged it in, there was no drive letter assigned. Windows XP recognized that the mass storage device was there for me also. I had to run the driver disk for the hard drive in order to get XP to assign a drive letter.

You must have a driver disk somewhere. If not, you will probably have to download the drivers.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2005
  5. bkbyrne

bkbyrne Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. Played around with it last night. In my original enclosure it seems to always pick up my DVD as a hard drive....very strange. I bought a new enclosure and after a bit of waiting and a lot of patience got it to install. The only issue left is the Philips software that came with the drive won't install as it says "doesn't recognise my drive". I'm not terribly worried about this as it contains Nero etc and I prefer to use dvddecrypter,shrink etc.

Thanks for all your help....i really appreciate it.

Barry