1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External hard drive/DVD player question

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Corinne11, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Corinne11

Corinne11 Member

I just purchased the Pioneer DV-400V-K because I wanted to put movies on my external hard drive and watch them off of the USB drive; this DVD player will read Divx files. I had purchased previously a Cavalry CAUM Series 1TB USB 2.0 7200RPM 16MB Cache External Hard Drive that has a Western Digital HDD inside. I have read to play movies on an external hard drive ( a large one, anyway) on a DVD player you must format it to FAT instead of NTFS that is standard with Windows. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Thank you.

2. dailun

dailun Active member

Breaking your Post down into readable sentences:

"I just purchased the Pioneer DV-400V-K because I wanted to put movies on my external hard drive and watch them off of the USB drive; this DVD player will read Divx files."

OK.

"I had purchased previously a Cavalry CAUM Series 1TB USB 2.0 7200RPM 16MB Cache External Hard Drive that has a Western Digital HDD inside."

OK.

"I have read to play movies on an external hard drive ( a large one, anyway) on a DVD player you must format it to FAT instead of NTFS that is standard with Windows."

Not entirely correct. You need to format the HDD to FAT32, not FAT.

Here is a post that pretty much explains what you have to do.

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic336451.html

You will have some "inconveniences" to deal with since the partition size for FAT32 is 32GB and the file size limit is 4GB. (one byte less than 4GB if you're splitting hairs) This means that the maximum movie size (without splitting) has to be 4GB.

Sounds like a lot of work for relatively little reward. The USB port on those Players is (AFAIK) typically designed for the "quick drop" of a USB memory stick.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  3. Corinne11

Corinne11 Member

Thanks for your help.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009