1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external hard drive for 360 not working

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by stephen02, Jul 2, 2007.

1. stephen02

stephen02 Guest

hey guys i bought an external usb 80gb and my flash drive worked on the 360 with music and videos but it dosent even pick up my 80gb external one, is there a way to get the 360 to recognise it.

2. VidJunkie

VidJunkie Member

I had the same problem. I took an external HDD with WMVHD files loaded onto it over to a friend's house to play through his XBOX using the USB port. The XBOX would not recognize the USB HDD. Now I'm trying to figure out how I can burn the WMVHD files to a DVD9 that the XBOX will play.

Has anybody had any luck doing this?

3. whytelyou

whytelyou Guest

Burn the wmv as a data disc

4. swarmpack

swarmpack Regular member

i was actually trying to do this myself and it turns out it has to be formatted to fat32.which has a limit of 32 gigs so you would need to make a partition on it that is fat32.hope that helps.

5. Mehtevas

Mehtevas Regular member

To get around the 32GB limit if you're using Vista/Xp/2000 then you must use a program such as Partition Magic to format a FAT32 volume of MORE than 32GB.

6. VidJunkie

VidJunkie Member

First off - thanks for the replys! If the USB drive must be formatted as FAT32, that would certainly explain the problem because my drive was formatted NTFS. But since FAT32 limits a file's size to no more than 4GB, my WMVHD files won't fit, which is why I formatted the USB drive as NTFS. Oh well, now I can concentrate on burning DVD9s. I'll try the data disk suggestion. I also read somewhere else in these forums that the DVD9 should be marked (booktyped?) as "DVD-ROM" to be recognized by the Xbox. I installed my dual-layer DVD drive last night, so I'm just getting started. I'll post back with anything that I learn.

Cheers!