1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External hard drive help!!!!! please

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by welcome3, Dec 3, 2004.

1. welcome3

welcome3 Guest

OK, Here's my situation. I purchased a maxtor 80 gig hard drive and an external case. My plan was to hook these items up to my laptop.I put the hard drive in the case , but when i noticed the case has 2 ports on it . One usb and the secondary one.(which i asume power). Here the thing.The way it gets power is thaT it comes with adapters ,in which you are suppost to connect to your computer power cord and then plug it in your computer.. I have a Dell . As in most dell power adapters it has the square end that pulgs in the computer not A head pone looking plug in (as the adapter that came with the case offered.) So i attached the connecter to the power adapter that goes to my external speakers and it draws power from there.
    Heres the problem. When i boot up the computer windows (XP) says it found a mass storage device. But it dont leave a drive letter or anything. I see it in the device manager but when i go to computer managment or anything else its not there. I played withg this thing fopr hours. I cant find it. Cant do nothing with it. What do i do? how do i get this hard drive started?

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

Under which catagory is the drive listed in Device Manager and is it listed as Maxtor?

Try this....

Unplug drive(USB)
    Reboot
    Plug in drive
    Go to Device Manager
    Right click the name of computer(first on the list)
    Scan for Hardware Changes

3. welcome3

welcome3 Guest

under usb mass storage
    yes it is a maxtor but dont say it in device manager.

4. ianski7

ianski7 Guest