1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MaxPayne1, Apr 12, 2007.

1. MaxPayne1

MaxPayne1 Member

Hi All,

Been having a problem with an external hard drive of mine (USB 2.0 connected). Lately the PC was not booting properly and when I turned off the power supply to he external hard dive it seemed to reboot no problems. It was sometimes imaging and showing on the PC and other times it was not. Sometimes I could access the contents and then other times I could not. I checked the event viewer and the 'warning' under event 50 and 51 kept sowing on the system log for the source 'disk'. I now cannot access the hard drive. Can anyone tell me what has happened and I suppose more importantly is this a message to 'kiss' the drive goodbye? or can it be 'fixed'. I won't hold my breath on it being just a simple problem. Thanks.

2. MaxPayne1

MaxPayne1 Member

Any suggestions, thoughts, idea's.....besides the obvious...get a new hard drive ):

3. MaxPayne1

MaxPayne1 Member

Anyone?....

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

try the external drive on another computer and see if you get the same problems. i'm willing to bet the issue lies in your pc, not the external drive.

5. MaxPayne1

MaxPayne1 Member

Thanks mate. I will try that but I have tried different USB ports etc. I probably forgot to mention that I also have another external hard drive and it is still working (both connected to same USB hub, so I doubt it is a PC issue at this time. I will give that a go and see with a friends PC. I also recently tried putting in another 'internal' hard drive and it works just fine. I can't find much about it in other forums except to say that it is a sign the HD is failing (error 51).

Any other help would be appreciated.