1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external hard drive problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jay05, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

i have an external hard drive that was working well until today. it's also an AivX Multimedia Player that can be hooked up with the tv to watch movies listen to music and see pictures. today i plugged the external hard drive into my computer using USB 2.0 like usual and my computer won't recognize it. it made the sound when you connect a new hardware but it won't show up as a drive in "my computer".

does anyone know what i can do? i tried hooking it up to the tv and the videos work fine. i also tried to plug the external hard drive into a different computer and it did the same thing. It made the sound of new hardware and then just did nothing.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

start->run type diskmgmt.msc go OK
    This takes you straight to the disk management console. It should appear as "Disk x" where x is probably the total number of disks you have. See what that says about it. if nothing there is recognisably that external hard drive, check to see if it's in Device manager, and if there is any error flag next to it.

3. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I tried what you suggested, but I don't think my computer is recognizing the external harddrive at first. After I wait about 5 minutes a "D drive" which is my external shows up in the disk management, but I had it named differently. I try to access it and it says D drive is not accessible. I really don't want to lose the data cuz it contains all my pictures and videos that I've taken with my camera. :(

I might have thought that it was just the external enclosure so I tried plugging the hard drive with another external enclosure but I get the same problem so I don't think it's the external enclosure that's causing the problem but the hard drive.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Right click on the device you think is your external and go "change drive letter and paths" and select a drive letter further on, such as X. Then see if X: is accessible. If not, then there's probaby something wrong with the unit.

5. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I'll try what you suggested.
    The funny thing is that if I hook up the external hard drive (it's a multimedia player as well) to my tv, I can access my videos and watch it and access my music and listen to it.

I just can't access it from my computer and my sister's computer. It's just so frustrating. It was working for almost 2 years now until yesterday. i don't htink it's a faulty usb cable because I tried to connect it with my other external hard drive as well as usb cable.

6. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I was able to change the drive letter from D: to X:
    For some reason my computer is really slow whenever I have my external hooked up to my computer. I also realized that under my external hard drive (Now Drive X:) in disk management there is nothing under "file system" also it says there is 100% free space. My C: drive reads NTSC.

I know there is data there cuz when I hook it up to my tv, it works fine.

7. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I tried plugging it into another laptop and it says "installing new hardware" and it just stays there... I went into device manager and there is a yellow question mark by "sm bus controller" i do not know what this is.
    I was hoping that I could put it in my desktop but I left it in another state. >.<
    Help!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A faulty USB cable is not as uncommon as you might think, try it. Was there a CD you used to install it to your hard disk? The yellow icon probably indicates that.

9. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I have two external hard drives. I tried using another usb cable with the one I'm having trouble with. I even took the hard drive out and put it in the other external enclosure and it didn't work. I also hooked it up to another computer and it won't go past "installing new harddrive" it seems it as a bus controller. So frustrating!

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The hard disk may be specific to the controller, and the controller may have stopped functioning correctly...

11. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

i got too frustrated and sent it to a technician to get it fixed. i'm glad i know the person or else labor charge would be expensive. i'm thankful. i just hope he's able to fix it!

12. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Ok so I sent it into a tech guy to have it fixed and he recovered all my files. I still got a problem though, 1/10 of all my files seem to be corrupt which includes music mp3 files, avi video files, and iso game backups. Is there any ways to fix this or do I have no choice but to delete them all???? :(

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Happens sometimes. I would ask the tech guy what software/method he used to recover the files and see if there's any info on the net about corrupted data.

14. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I tried contacting the person but he's from overseas of a friends friends friend and I wasn't very successful. >.<

Is there any programs out there that fixes problems that I'm encountering such mp3 avi doc files?

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Not that I know of. Corruption from recovery's usually pretty permanent.

16. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

17. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Thanks ddp, I will try those out ASAP!

The weird thing is that I can see the pictures through the thumbnail view but when I open it, but I can open it.