1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External hard drive problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by titoman, Jul 1, 2007.

1. titoman

titoman Member

I have succesfully used my external driver on my laptop for about 10 months, but i have been having problems with it the last couple of days...

When i plug it in, the "autoplay" thing starts scannin the folders really quickly... It used to take like 2 seconds, now it takes forever for it to go through... also the scannin always stops on the same folder (which in this case is "Matrix Trilogy" folder) so it will wait on that for a while and will eventually pass, and finish... Then i can open the harddrive and most of the time, as soon as i try to copy a file or open a folder, it will freeze...

Also sometimes it used to make alotta clickin noises....like it's being turned off and on...

Also, i see the "Delayed write failure" or something like that warning too..

Thnx for the help...

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I think the drive is going bad. Clicking from a hard drive is always bad. Try to get diagnostic utilities from the drive manufacturer and run it on the drive.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's probably turning on and off, which means there's a bad power connection in the enclosure, or the power brick isn't working. backup what you can and replace the unit.