1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Hard Drive question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by FARLEYACE, Jan 18, 2007.

1. FARLEYACE

FARLEYACE Member

Do you have to have a working cd drive to install an external hard drive? I need a new hard drive bad but my cd drive has been broken for like 2 years now.

2. Leinad123

Leinad123 Member

i dont see why you would, it should all be plug and play w/out drivers, why not just go for an internal HDD? its cheaper faster and just as easy

3. steimy

steimy Active member

yeah, i have a western digital Ebook external hard drive and i just plugged it in and windows recognized and installed it. I do not even remember if it had a disc with it.

4. FARLEYACE

FARLEYACE Member

I tried plugging my ipod in there using the usb port and it wouldn't install it because it said I needed to put the windows xp cd in the cd drive because my computer was missing some windows files or something, so I don't know if it would work.

5. Leinad123

Leinad123 Member

try it anyway, if it turns out it does need drivers you can just download them online from somewhere like driverguide.com or just from the support page of the company which made the HDD

6. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

Most external hard drives including mine you just plug it in the USB and windows will recognize it and you'll be ready to go