1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Cully1980, May 8, 2007.

1. Cully1980

Cully1980 Member

Hello

I am looking into purchasing an external hard drive to back up my pics and stuff, however before i do this i was looking to find out if there is anyway i can check to see if my comp and laptop are Usb2 or 1

is there a quick way of finding this out as the comp is about 3 years old and the laptop is 2

also if it does turn out they are both USB1 does it really make the time alot longer in transferring the files to the HDD, and do you normally have to by a different type of hdd as the one i am looking at is a western digital 320gb

Thankyou for your help

2. ireland

ireland Active member

How do I know if my computer has USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 support?

Most computers ship with built-in USB 1.1 ports that support USB 1.1 device speeds only. USB 2.0 support is usually added to a computer via a USB 2.0 add-in card, though some newer computers may have USB 2.0 ports built-in.

Please use the following steps to determine if your computer has USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 ports.

Note: Apple® does not provide native support for USB 2.0, therefore, USB 2.0 speeds are not supported when using USB 2.0 devices on Macintosh® operating systems at this time.

Select your operating system

Windows 98/Me | Windows 2000/XP

Windows® 98/Me

1. Right-click the My Computer icon and select Properties.

2. Click the Device Manager tab.

3. Click the plus (+) sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Note: If Universal Serial Bus Controllers is not listed, there is a problem with the USB controller or the USB controller is not enabled in the computer's BIOS. Please contact the computer or card manufacturer for updated drivers and/or for information on how to fix or enable the USB controller.

* If Enhanced Host Controller and/or USB 2.0 Root Hub Device is listed, then the computer has USB 2.0 ports.

* If Universal Host Controller and/or Open Host Controller is listed, then the computer has USB 1.1 ports.

Windows® 2000/XP

1. Right-click the My Computer icon and select Manage.

Note: Windows XP users may need to click Start to access the My Computer icon.

2. Click the Device Manager icon.

3. Click the plus (+) sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Note: If Universal Serial Bus Controllers is not listed, there is a problem with the USB controller or the USB controller is not enabled in the computer's BIOS. Please contact the computer or card manufacturer for updated drivers and/or for information on how to fix or enable the USB controller.

* If Enhanced Host Controller and/or USB 2.0 Root Hub Device is listed, then the computer has USB 2.0 ports.

* If Universal Host Controller and/or Open Host Controller is listed, then the computer has USB 1.1 ports.

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  3. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

USB 1 tops out at 12 million bits per second which is only good for mice and keyboards. USB 2.0 can go (theoretically) at 480 Mbps thus allowing hard disks to be used. USB 1 is useless for hard drives.

To check...

(1) open Control Panel. Click on System

[​IMG]

(2) System Properties appears

[​IMG]

(3) Click on Hardware tab

[​IMG]

(4) Open Device Manager

[​IMG]

(5) Click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers folder

[​IMG]

(6) If you see the word "Enhanced" you have USB 2.0

The key word is ENHANCED. If you have an ENHANCED USB Host Controller then you have High Speed USB (USB 2.0)

[​IMG]

(7) If you see the word "Standard" you don't.

[​IMG]

4. Cully1980

Cully1980 Member

5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

USB 1 tops out at 12 million bits per second which is only good for mice and keyboards. USB 2.0 can go (theoretically) at 480 Mbps thus allowing hard disks to be used. USB 1 is useless for hard drives.

USB 2.0 PCI card £14.69 inc VAT at Medusa

http://www.medusa-uk.com/product_info.php?products_id=186&f=froogle

6. ireland

ireland Active member

USB 1.0 can operate at 1.5 Megabits per second (Mbps).

USB 1.1 allowed a maximum transfer rate of 12Mbits/second. USB mice and keyboards need only 1.5Mbits/s to function. That performance level is also named 'USB'.

USB 2.0 has a raw data rate at 480Mbps, and it is rated 40 times faster than its predecessor interface, USB 1.1, which tops at 12Mbps. Originally, USB 2.0 was intended to go only as fast as 240Mbps, but then, USB 2.0 Promoter Group increased the speed to 480Mbps in October 1999.

You can use USB device with USB 1.0, USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 as long as your PC or laptop has USB ports, but USB 2.0 device transfer data at 480 Mbps on systems with USB 2.0 support only.

FOR LAPTOP
    [​IMG]

LINK
    http://www.ebest24.co.uk/products/computer-networking/4-port-pcmcia-card-for-laptop.html

AND HERE
    http://www.ptronix.com/eshop/5101.htm

7. Cully1980

Cully1980 Member

so i take it this means i do have a usb2.0
    it says

Intel(R)82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 ENHANCED HOST CONTROLLER -24CD
    Intel(R)82801DB/DBM USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER 24C2
    Intel(R)82801DB/DBM USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER24C4
    Intel(R)82801DB/DBM USB UNIVERSAL HOST CONTROLLER 24C7
    USB ROOT HUB