1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Hard Drive recommendations

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by The_Ones, Dec 5, 2012.

1. The_Ones

The_Ones Member

Ok, boring background first (In cliffnotes):

I previously had a Western Digital 1tb external hard drive to store all of my music and movies on

That "died" and had the (probably common) "Format to use" error and eventually it wouldn't be read at all

After researching i found it may have been the logic board that connects the internal drive to the power supply/usb external stuff, etc

Opened up the case for the internal hard drive

Bought a new Western Digital (don't know why) Elements 2tb hard drive as i was needing the extra space. Along with a BlackX Hard drive reader which was able to read the internal hard drive and transfer all of my data to the new one (alot of the music i can't get back at all, no matter how long i take). Some files failed, which i assume is due to Damaged sectors, but i got 96% saved which i was more than happy with.

2 weeks later (yesterday). The elements failed. After no success of reading in the BlackX and hooking up internally to the computer via Sata, it miraculously started to be read. Currently backing up my music onto a 100gb portable hard drive incase it doesn't read again

--------------------

Now, onto the point of this thread (sorry about the boring background), What External Hard Drive would you recommend (non Western Digital. So done with them) that is 2tb in size, very reliable and good for longevity, and costs less than £80?

I did some research and the 3 best ones i could find were:

1) Hitachi Touro Desk DX3

Seemed to be getting great reviews, Problem is that i read it only spins at 5,400 rpm, which, according to the person who said it, produces very low transfer speeds. I can live with that if it means it will last longer, but in terms of reading movies (especially 720p 3GB movies), would that slow transfer speed cause the reading process to lag and pause, or would 5,400 rpm read those sort of files just fine?. Also the positive reviews sounded like first impressions rather than commenting on the longevity of the drive.

2) Seagate STBV2000200

Again, very positive reviews but i read its very prone to overheating, but that was just from one guy (even so, alarm bells went off), is this a common defect and if i go for it would i need a big cooling process installed with it, or does it normally run fine?

3) Buffalo DriveStation

Again, very good reviews, but someone claimed that it not only failed, but also corrupted the whole computer (not sure how thats possible). That sounds less like a hard drive error and more a manufacturing what the hell defect. But again, he's the only one out of hundreds thats experienced it.

So yeah, i appreciate you sticking with me this far, i understand i type like a mad man. Basically out of the 3 hard drives i've produced, which is the best for my sort of needs, or are they all worthless and there is a better one out there that suits all of my needs and is perfect.

Thank you and i look forward to your responses

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. john179

john179 Active member

My choice would be the seagate as i have built many computers over the years and had many types of hd and seagate have caused the least issues over the years. I have an external seagate drive which i have never had any issues with so this would be my choice.

3. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

ive had 2 seagate go flex 2tb and both died within 6 months, my western digital elements 2tb is still going strong and also my 1,5 tb verbatim and both are 2 years old

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Hitachi use to be good till western Digital got them the drive is 5900 rpm not 5400,unfortunately samsung drives are now made by seagate which would've been my next choice which doesn't leave a lot of options,my advice go with whichever has greatest warranty poeriod..lol..

as for slow drive speed don't be concerned you won't notice the difference it will do whats required whether internally or externally ,for the record i have a number of 5900rpm samsungs green drives (internal & external) as well as the lastest seagate 2tb expansions (which are used for 360 games to play off externally) the expansions work fine no lag etc