1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external hdd question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by riverdean, Jul 31, 2007.

1. riverdean

riverdean Member

hi im running chkdsk on a 300 gig external hdd with 280 gigs of files on there,right now its running through phase 4 but the green marker thing hasnt moved up in a v long time
    how do i know if its still going or not theres no noise coming from the hdd,though i noticed there was no noise either when i first run chkdsk 15 hrs ago

will phase 5 take as long as phase 4 seems to be taking right now it seems phase 4 could take 3 days

2. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

As you using a external hard drive the data rate would be considerably less, especially with usb 1.1 .

I personally havn't chkdsk a hard drive of that size, But As you say you have almost maxed out the capacity of your hard drive, theres alot for it to do. I heard a case where it would take 24hours even to complete.

Are you sure that the hard drive hasnt lost it power at all as if you was to reconnect it then it would no doubt freeze.

3. riverdean

riverdean Member

hi yes im using an ext hdd its powered by usb 2

how do i know if its lost power i mean when i touch it i can feel a vibration so im sure its still on also it shows up in my computer
    but of course i cant click into it cause its being used by chkdsk
    u know that green bar that fill up from left to right well its been on 3 green bars for about 6 hrs
    i want to just stop it pulling out the power cord but ive been reading that i could lose data so i dont have many options do i

is phase 5 the last phase and is this usually faster then phase 4 lol
    u said 24 hrs well to finish just phase 4 at this rate could take 3 days

4. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Are you sure its powered by usb? i dont think ive seen a 300gb hardrive powered by even 2 usb before although the current maybe be sufficient. Usually they are powered by a 12v ac adapter or a 4 pin 5v adapter.

If you put your ear close to the hard drive you may hear it powering down at times if its losing power, but it may have been too late as its when the chkdsk is reading the data that the hd is in use.

Yeah stage 5 would be fast as it is simply a continuation of stage 4 which calculates the remaining free space on the hard drive, which you have a low amount of.

I would leave it for a while yet, if theres no change then i dont think you have any option but to disconnect. If you do this then i was suggest defragmenting the hard drive and then maybe run chkdsk once more.

5. riverdean

riverdean Member

oh yes the hdd is powered by a plug yes its also though connected through usb 2

i can confirm the hdd is on but i dont know if chkdsk is frozen or what
    yeah i tried to defrag in the first place the reason i couldnt was because i got error message saying i needed to run chkdsk first

6. riverdean

riverdean Member

the best way to end this is to click restart on the computer aye rather then switching off the hdd with the switch
    im just worried about losing data i know theres no safe way to end chkdsk i do have a program called getbackdata which does seem to be able to recover most lost data
    but still

7. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

I dont know what else to suggest unless you hold on and wait for another user comment. i know what its like when you are waiting for something and feel its been long enough already, its entirely in your court mate.

8. riverdean

riverdean Member

how u think is the best way to end it though switch off the hdd or restart the comp

9. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Well a restart will seem the best option leaving the hdd power on but data loss is still possible.

10. kip2001

kip2001 Member

Hi, I'm having the same problem with chkdsk frozen on a 160GB external HD. Could you tell me if you lost any data restarting or what I should do?
    Thanks,
    Kip

11. riverdean

riverdean Member

hi no i didnt restart,i was about to when it finally completed after over 24hrs,i did get errors at the end cause there were some sectors it couldnt read,id let it run a bit longer how long has it been

12. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hi, if disk check hangs its usually a bad sector. You can see if its running and how much memory and cpu its using in task manager. Unplug the drive if its hanging There is a chance of data loss but its negligible. You should as a rule leave 15% of free space on a drive. Regular disk checks and defrags will make the two processes speedy.