1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External HDD Takes too long to be detected

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Grayz, May 27, 2007.

1. Grayz

Grayz Member

I recently bought an external HDD case from Revoltec model Alu Book 2 2.5" IDE, to put in my old 80Gb notebook hard drive. The problem is, that in both my computers the hard drive takes like 5 minutes to be detected (From the moment I plug it in until I can hear windows hardware detected sound notice). I tried on my desktop (running Win XP) and on my notebook (Win XP and Vista Ultimate). I just want to know if there is any available firmware update for the hard drive case or if it is defective, so I can trade in for a new one.
    I also tried using the USB to 5VDC cable bundled to troubleshoot, in case the USBs didn't have enough power to juice up the drive.

Thanks for the attention.

Cheers

2. elokito

elokito Regular member

well u could back it up and format it to c if its just a corrupt partition

3. Grayz

Grayz Member

I tried doing that... But there's also one thing that bugs me out, because when I remove the hard drive from the case, and then plug the case to the computer, it's detected instantly and it is shown on the device manager... Is it probably a hard drive incompatability issue?
    The hard drive is from Fujitsu, not a big deal but I can't complain, it came with the notebook I bought xD.

Cheers

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

was the drive partitioned & formated in the adapter?

5. Grayz

Grayz Member

Yeah, everything was done with the hard drive inside the case. I unallocated the hard drive (to delete all the partitions it had) and I formatted it with only one partition in it. hmm... I'm going to remove the hard drive that is currently in my notebook and put it inside the case and see how it behaves...

Edit: Okay... With another hard drive it works perfectly, instantly detected. Hitachi 100GB 7200RPM.
    Now to figure out why does the Fujitsu takes so long to be detected.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007