1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extra Space...Help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by satb7783, Jan 27, 2005.

1. satb7783

satb7783 Member

I just bought an external enclosure and a 120 GB hard drive for some extra space for movies and what not, b/c I have a laptop, so I don't have that much space to begin with...but before I insatll this hard drive into the case, I was wondering what the external drive should be....master or slave? I will only be turning it on when I am wanting to use Ghost and backup my system or backup a movie and save it on there. Isn't the HDD in the laptop the master, and then this one would be the slave...or no? Any help would be great on what I should do about hooking this up...I have never done this before. Thanks!

2. Gringle

Gringle Guest

I believe you've answered your own question correctly.

regards gringle

3. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Sorry [re] the advice, it differs from makes of, HD to HD lots of info in google.

regards again gringle

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Since this will be connected by USB, you would need to make the settings on the HD to Master.

5. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Sorry Scuba bubd; I thought by chance, and by an inate percerption. That part of bubbles floating...had been understood?

So'oo while I miander among bubbles floating to the sky;

I gotta think 'bout a sort of imatation; a sort of non-risk disc?

regards gringle.

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

@ gringle

I'm a bit lost. Are you saying that:

is the same as:

Thanks

Just in case, @satb7783, Select "Master" as the setting for the "External Hard Drive" you will be using in your enclosure.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Wrong forum. Thread moved.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

external hd is seen as slave, i have a 40gig wd in 2.5" usb2 enclosure & is my f:drive unless i reboot with drive plugged in than is d:drive. on some bioses can boot off external drives so see if you have that capability

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

That is correct ddp. It will be seen as an additional drive once plugged into a USB port since the master HDD is internal. But the actual setting on the back of the hard drive installed into the enclosure should be set as “master”.

Here is a link from a gentleman that setup his own external HDD and some of the problems he encountered:

http://www.camerahobby.com/Digital_HardDriveCase.htm

Thanks

10. satb7783

satb7783 Member

When I do install this drive, antyhing I need to do to it, or just start saving things to it? In the last post, it mentioned something about "formatting" the drive...how am I suppose to do that? Just a scandisk and defrag, or...? I am confused on what "formatting the drive" really means. Also...I don't need to artition this drive right, b/c I will be only using it to save music, pictures, backup dvd's and what not...right?

11. ddp

ScubaBud, 3.5" ide may have to be jumpered but not 2.5" ide fot laptops which my drive is.
    satb7783, you have to partition & format drive before able to store software onto drive. if using xp, goto disk management to create partition on drive than format it

12. satb7783

satb7783 Member

I feel kind of stupid, but I have no idea how to do any of this. I am in disk management, then what do you do to partition and format? I still have to do this even if I am only putting songs and single type files on it, not software of any kind.

Thanks for the help

13. ddp

14. satb7783

satb7783 Member

Thanks for the link, that helped

15. ddp

no problem, teach & learn