1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extracting DVD Clips: Can it be Done?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by jriler, Nov 8, 2004.

1. jriler

jriler Member

A buddy of mine teaches a film class and would like to capture video clips from DVDs. I don't know of any software that will do this, but I told him it would probably be fairly expensive. I recommended he start out with DVDShrink, then try to find something that would extract the clips from the resulting files.

Is there such an application?

Thanks!

Jack

2. nuclear81

nuclear81 Member

He might want to use DVDDecrypt instead so he won't lose any quality. Next he will need to change the .VOB files to .MPG (he can change the extension just as he would change a file name) Next he can use a program such as TMPEGenc or Vstrip to take out specific segments. Just tell him this is going to take some time to do. Good luck

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

ImToo DVD Ripper. www.imtoo.com You can convert DVDs into mpegs/avis by picking out chapters or time slots.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

He can also use Virtualdub "Free" to extract clips fast and easy. But he still has to make .vob files .mpg files which was explained nicely by nuclear81

good luck and good ripping

5. karaya

karaya Guest

I tried changing the extension, but it stays a .VOB file.

ended up with test.mpg.VOB

6. nuclear81

nuclear81 Member

erease the .VOB part. You don't need it there. Just keet the .MPG

7. jriler

jriler Member

I think he's asking how you change an extension in an environment that doesn't let you change the extension. I use an old utility that lets me do it, but it's no longer available. In XP, you have to see the entire name.ext and then be able to change the extension. How does one do that? There's a way, I just don't remember.

I'll look into it when I have time, but right now I'm sick and have horrible nausea. Not the best time to go traipsing around Microsoft's support pages.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Renaming or changing the extension is easy.
    Go into your DOS and locate the Folder your VOB files are then simply type "RENAME" then the file you want to change to include ext. Then hit space and type the new name should all be same except at the end instead of .vob type .mpg
    Here is an example
    f:\DVD_Video\VIDEO_TS>RENAME VTS_01_2.VOB VTS_01_2.MPG

Or here is another way if you don't like DOS just go to the folder you have your files and at the top click on Tools and then folder options, go to the tab that says View and scroll down to where it says Hide extensions for known file types and un-check that box. You can now change the extension in explorer with no problems..

Hope this helps

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  9. karaya

karaya Guest

That was easy. It appears to have worked.

Only problem now is I am getting a codec error of some kind. Audio, but no video.