1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

extracting mpeg files from svcd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by badass, Apr 13, 2003.

1. badass

badass Guest

ok i have done this plenty of time but ran into this problem 2 times so far.. I open the svcd in isobuster, right click on AVSEQ01.mpg, extract but filter only M2F2 mpeg frames ant it gives me a 750 mb mpeg file which is cool but when i try to merge the 2 files (cd1 & cd2) with tmpgenc it only merges part of the 1st cd so instead of taking all of the 55 minutes it only takes like 20 minutes...?? what is the problem and can i fix it?? By the way the svcd is fine it plays great in dvd player...

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

That file has a .mpg extension however, its really a .dat file so change the .mpg to .dat and get VCDEasy.

In VCDEasy, click Tools and click the mpeg tools button. Now at the end of the program is CDXA2MPEG, load the dat file in the top field and the type an output location for the mpeg file you are going to save and click convert. After a few minutes a true mpeg file should be where you specified and should work properly with TMPGEnc!

3. badass

badass Guest

ok cool i will give that a try but how come most of the times it works for me??

4. Dela

I dont know, I dont even know for sure if this will even help you but its always best t convert the file back to mpeg anyway first!

5. badass

badass Guest

hmmmmmmm it's giving me an error message that says "unknown chunk id [] encountered (the file is not a mpeg file with Riff header [.dat file])"whatever that means

6. Dela

That's strange!!!0 and this came off an SVCD cd??

7. badass

badass Guest

yes a svcd that i can put in my standalone dvd player and it plays just fine.....

8. Dela

lol, they should have riff headers but obviously this one didnt!! OK, the problem then is most likely a damged mpeg file! From the sounds of it I dont know what else but does it play back correctly in the dvd player??

9. badass

badass Guest

yeah plays perfectly fine in dvd player so how do i go about giving it a riff header then if you dont mind explaining that one lol??

10. Dela

Well riff headers are usually put on them when they are burned! so you just cant throw riff headers on it lol! It wouldnt do you any good, anyway. I think your problem is simply TMPGEnc! you should give CM's DvTool a try!

11. badass

badass Guest

ok i'll give that one a whirl... will let u know

12. Dela

Ok So, good luck with it, I myself hate annoying problems like that :)

13. badass

badass Guest

ohhh you aint kidding im really pissed here that didnt work either only 56 minutes came out of the 109 minutes merging with dvtool.... i just dont get it

14. Dela

geez, it has to be the mpeg file then but I have no idea how that could be :S

15. badass

badass Guest

me either...... oh well i guess i am just going to have to d/l new files thx for all your help anyways!!

16. Dela

No Probs, good luck with d'loading!

17. natedaw9

natedaw9 Member

awww theres no way to fix this? i have the same exact problem: d'l a .rar, extractyed into a .bin+.cue,turned it into mpeg2 with isobuster, renamed it into a .dat, and the SAME error of no riff header. i have tmpgenc, nero, cdrwin, vcdgear, isobuster and i been tryin for 3 days now forum searchin. anyone who knows about .bin to vcd, or mpeg2 to mpeg1 or svcd to vcd HELP ME PLZ!!

18. Dela

Just use tmpgenc, with the mpg off the disk!!