1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extreme firmware question/NME

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Wolfiepup, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Wolfiepup

Wolfiepup Guest

I was talking to my local modder and he said that both the firmware flashing and the NME chip both cause the dvd drive to burn out in less than a year. Is there any truth to this? I don't see how the NME chip would since it only injects the correct code for backed up games and then turn off. I have tried to find any information on this but either do not know where to look or am blind lol. Thank you for your time

2. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

Firmware is firmware. It doesn't matter which one is on there. It HAS to have A firmware so having a different (modified) one makes no difference on how long the drive lasts. The ONLY way I could see this happening is people using crap media and burning out the laser like with ps2. Maybe the slow backups but fast retail part causes this but I seriously doubt it.

3. Wolfiepup

Wolfiepup Guest

So there is no huge problem with them? Which is better or do I not understand what the NME does?

Can anyone else confirm this? No offense but I don't want to risk $400 on the word of one guy on the internet.

4. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

Flashing your firmware is alot less risky than installing a modchip. If you have anything other than the new benQ drive, you're better off flashing the firmware. Hopefully someone steps up and confirms my word.
    I've flashed countless drives all with no problems what-so-ever. Even some fellow Afterdawn memebers have sent me their 360 to flash for them. Everyone of them have been 100% happy with me flashing the drives.

5. Wolfiepup

Wolfiepup Guest

Thank you for your help. I was wondering the same.... if you don't mind.... what is crap media/ the better ones to use

6. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

Verbatim DVD+R DL are the best for burning 360 games. Burn with Clone CD at 4x with a properly patched .iso and you'll have no problems on either Hitachi or Samsung drives.