1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremely "hot" signal using sound card recorders....

Discussion in 'Audio' started by mrlewp, Mar 12, 2005.

1. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

I like single purpose tools like audio recorders that tie into your sound card to record whatever is heard thru speakers. For ex. , WavePad , Silent Bob , and Mp3Cut.
    Problem is same with each of these , I have to have slider for appropriate input signal set to very lowest level possible, and even then signal is still crossing occasionally into "too hot" zone for recording without distortion.
    Trust me , I've tinkered with each and every control having any effect on recording level...be it Wave, Line, or ?
    Is there somewhere in registry , or bios perhaps, to lower overall levels?

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Give a try to Audacity -- An excellent FREE sound editor that has recording capabilities -- !The input from your Wave Out is easily controlable. And it has a built-in threshold limiter to prevent clipping.

It's available here : http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

I capture Laserdisks (and other media) through my line-in, and the audio signal is HOT!
    My line-in volume must be set very low.
    As a Gain control, one little line-in volume lift and distortion takes over...
    So nothing weird about your setup mrlewp :)
    L8R

4. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

Perhaps not weird , but still very annoying! At first glance , Audacity seems to be a very good solution. Volume settings are easy and flexible now. I just have to learn the ins and outs of the app, especially when it comes to trimming yahoo DJ's voice , and station promos at beginning and end of songs.
    This Audacity has many cool features!! Thanks for lead , Jeanc1.

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

@mrlewp

To trim.. you highlight the portion .. you want off -- and delete.. ! With time you will get the knack of it -- There are other tools you may use such as Fading in.. and Fading out a piece.. ! Your best friend in there .. are the UNDO arrows.. ~~smiles. Learn about the effects... some are quite handy to restore oldies, or let you custom make a piece to your liking !