1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremely long encoding times with TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Lawmanxxx, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Lawmanxxx

Lawmanxxx Guest

I have been a long time user of Nero products for both CD and, more recently, DVD Authoring and burning. I have had my problems with NeroVision Express 3, but have worked through them with much experimentation and a ton of good advice from the fine people here in the afterdawn forums. A few days ago, I stumbled apon an AVI to DVD guide (yourmercifulgod.co.uk ) that recommended using several programs that I had never used before to do the transcoding and authoring. I decided to give it a try and proceeded to download all the programs it suggested. These include: TMPGEnc Plus 2.5, TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6, VirturalDubMod 1.5.4.1, AC3fix, and G-Spot. I downloaded a 700mb avi movie file and followed the guides directions exactly. (The AVI to DVD Guide found on afterdawn's site is very similar, with a few differences in apps)The first thing that struck me was the ENORMOUS time it takes to transcode from avi to mpeg2. I'm talking 10 hours! You gotta be kidding me! I suppose it might be worth it if the quality really knocked my socks off but, quite frankly, it didn't. I couldn't tell the difference in video or audio quality compared to NVE3, which does it all in about 3.5 hours. I recently completed a project to burn the complete CSI Seasons 1-4, up to and including last weeks episode of season 5, to DVD using NVE3 and Nero Express. I'm talking 104 episodes on 27 DVD's. This took about two months. If I had done it with TMPGEnc, it would take two years!!! What's the deal with this program and why do so many people swear by it? Am I using it wrong? Hell, afterdawn's own guide even says to expect up to 20 hours to encode a single file. 20 hours? I think NOT!
    Lawmanxxx...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2005
  2. FartDude

FartDude Guest

Well u could try winavi converter which i can convert a avi to dvd in 45min to 1hr , really it all depends on ur system specs and the type of video ur working with.

3. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Because it's marketed better than the others, and most users have no idea that there are much better/faster encoders around, for about the same price.

4. Jarke

Jarke Member

I would fall into that category.
    Can you recommend a couple? I would be most appreciative.

5. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Mainconcept mpeg encoder, Canopus Procoder express, CinemaCraft basic.

6. Kyle2k

Kyle2k Member

also, because many people use it and there is lots of help available if your stuck. its also very easy to use.

7. kcdc30

kcdc30 Regular member

i had a file take 18 hours with nerovision once because i edited the focus and the color of the file so i aborted and started it without editing anything and it only took 3 hours.