1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EXTREMELY low read rates using Shrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dks142, Nov 14, 2004.

1. dks142

dks142 Member

I have been using DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter for quite some time now. Lately, Shrink has been reading extremely slow. Down to below 100 KB/sec in some cases. It has gotten progressively worse and it happens during the analysing and encoded phases. The burning stage runs without a hitch. 4x every time. I tried Decrypting first, it usually stays reading at ~2.0x steadily, but as soon as I try to Shrink it, the Shrink program runs at about 0.5x. This is a relatively new problem. Until about a month ago or so, it took only thirty minutes to backup a movie start to finish. Now it takes over two hours. Any help out there?

2. regor

regor Regular member

Hi dks142 - There are a couple of things I'd check if it were my system: Don't take offence if this is blatantly obvious.

1) HDD space - make sure you have been removing the various VIDEO_TS folders if you don't need them any longer. They can easily build up and take space from you you thought you had. In addition to these folders remember that your system can fill up quickly on .tmp files, etc.

2) HDD space (2) have you been defragmenting periodically?

3) Does you system (sound like) it's doing any swapping to disk? Excessive HDD writes (chatter)? Is it possible you are maxing/mining out - using too much or too little shared or virtual memory? What is your HDD size and what is your swap file size set to? How much RAM do you have in the system. More is good. A lot is better. RAM is your best friend for performance!

4) Are you running any virus scan utilities? You may wish to disable them temporarily while Shrinking - I have a routine I run to disable 'black-listed' programs. Turning off services while I'm authoring or rendering until I am finished. Especially look for anything that can effect IO operations. DO NOT LEAVE VIRUS SCAN DISABLED.

5) Is System Restore enabled? Is it possible restore points are being created during these operations? BE EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS. In other words disble SR at your own risk and be aware that if you disable SR it will automatically delete any previous restore points.

I hope this information is useful.

R