1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fact or Fiction DVD-R Backup Issues

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by mccmd, Nov 15, 2004.

1. mccmd

mccmd Member

1. Does burning DVD with label on effect quality of burn ?
    2. If Labels effect quality of burn is clear plastic preferable to paper?
    3. While burn is in progress should you NOT do anything else on your computer like play solitaire, surf the web or print
    4. Are there any differences between using +R or +RW other then the obvious RW re-write option and price differences?
    5. Does the playing of backups (burned on internal computer quality DVD drives) on Home theater quality DVD players with progressive scan and deinterlacers with 3/2 pulldown etc present any issues of concern?

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Most of your answers you could have found on your own with the search bar at the top of the page, but I'm in a halfway decent mood so here goes.....

1) Don't think you'll find anyone here with experience that will recommend labels. If you gotta have a label on them get a disc printer and inkjet printable discs.
    2)If you truly absolutely have to put a sticky label on at least wait until after the burn.
    3)Processing video files requires up to 100% of your CPU's processor and RAM, so doing anything else is likely to cause an error in your finished product.
    4)RW's don't tend to be as compatible with DVD players. This varies a bit from machine to machine.
    5)Not that I'm aware of.

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi mccmd, welcome to aD,

What my Buddy zippyd said is true -

I am one of the few (that I know of) who "label" my discs. I've done over 800 discs and only had a few that had trouble playing.
    Note: I WOULD NEVER LABEL A DISC BEFORE BURNING -
    One last piece of advice - only apply labels with a label applier - a tool designed just for that. Doing it by hand will guarantee an off-balanced disc -

Cheers and welcome to the club -

Pete

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I feel special now.
    Does that mean I get to come over on Sundays' and mooch all your beer while we watch my team and not yours? LOL

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey everyone, PLEASE excuse my new Buddy, he'd be forgetting hisself it would seem, kind of lost touch with reality as the rest of would perceive it -
    Himself be thinkin' he'll be watchin' his team and not mine - sometimes certain pple are not with both of their feet on the ground t'would seem -

Now that was truly finny-fish funny - ROTF -

Yea there Zippy ole boy, ya keep that thought, tis something that won't cum ta pass in this century - (Lololol)

Cheers,

"P"

6. regor

regor Regular member

In addition to keeping your hands off the system during authoring/rendering/copying, mccmd, I recommend you identify potential 'blacklisted' programs that may interfere with IO operations during a burn. An example would be virus scan utilties that may scan your HDD, CD, DVD; or scan files that are written to the HDD during a RIP process (non-intrusive in this sense but could lengthen the total time to RIP and burn).

Personnally, I am anal about it. I disable screensaver, run a custom power option for DVD Authoring - basically ALWAYS ON, Realtime Virus Scan disabled (DO NOT KEEP VIRUS SCAN DISABLED). I don't even let my flatscreen blank - you would need to have keyboard or mouse interaction to waken the screen else you would be in the dark on burn progress.

Did I say anal? I meant ANAL!

Hope this info helps. R

7. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Not even for my birthday? Some buddy you are......lol
    We'll just have to go to Hooters on gameday. :)

Another thought to add to the original post. RWs are nice to keep around in case you start having unsuccessful burns. You can just switch to the RWs as you trouble shoot to keep from wasting any more disk.