1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

failed dvd burn with dvdshrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by flash43, Mar 3, 2007.

1. flash43

flash43 Member

I've been burning DVD's with DVD shrink for several months. Most of the time it works without a hitch. I watch the green bar and occasionally it has a red bar at the end of the green bar. This is rare and I know that means there's too much material for the blank disk. All I have to do is delete a few unnecessary things,the red bar disappears and it copies. Here's a new one I've never encountered. When it gets to the checking disk stage and I've inserted a blank disk, a window pops up which says, "not enough space to burn this compilation to this disc". I've made numerous attempts with other blank discs with the same result. If there wasn't enough space, why didn't the red show up at the end of the green bar? The original disk is 2 hrs. and 42 min. I've copied movies that were 3 hrs. long with no trouble. The disc is not encrypted. What's the problem?

2. dvdchick

dvdchick Regular member

hello yea i have had that happen to me, are you doing movie only??

3. S_Scanlan

S_Scanlan Member

this has happened to me a few times. I found the problem was actually not enough room on my hard drive. You need enough room for the ISO image. If you have a lot of things (pics, downloaded stuff, ect) on your hard drive that might be your problem. Try that out.. thats all I got

4. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

what you need to do is when the burn is done and when you see the message that shrink has finnished it will say the output kiles wer saved to such and such folder, you need to go to that folder and deleate the files to clear up disk space and after you do that make sure that you empty the Recycle Bin that way you will know that you will have enough space to do more backups

5. flash43

flash43 Member

Thanks. I'm a little new to this and a new computer user also. (less than a year) I always delete the file immediately after I burn the DVD. The original is encoding fine. It's when I attempt to follow through and burn it that I get the message. It's telling me there isn't enough space on the blank disc. Always before when there was too much on the original to copy, a red bar appears at the end of the green bar. I'm not sure I understand you. Surely you don't mean to delete the files of the DVD i just encrypted. If I did that, I wouldn't have anything to burn to the disk.

6. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

I've encountered this also. Have you tried anything besides Shrink 3.2? I encountered this a couple of times in the past and used another program and it went fine. Might try using something different and see if you get the same results. A crowd fav seems to be RipIt4Me. You can find it here: http://www.ripit4me.org
    It's pretty easy to use and seems to have a lot of success.
    Another thing to check is make sure your machine is clean. Defrag your HDD often as Shrink doesn't work as well on a fragmented HDD. Also, clear out any temps and such. Here's a proggy that works good: http://www.ccleaner.com

7. flash43

flash43 Member

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Is this what you are getting?....

[​IMG]

Do you have your target size set correctly?

[​IMG]

Do you have enough hard drive space for your temporary folder?

[​IMG]

The error you mentioned:
    ... is different than the "Target Size Exceeded" error message.

If there were not enough room on the hard drive for the temporary folder you would get a different error than the Target Size Exceeded error I think.... Posssibly like the one you got.
    Because even if there were not enough room on the hard drive, there would still be enough room on the blank DVD. So no red would show on the size bar but you would still get the error you mentioned.

So...

Check out that "Space available in folder" number. Make sure you have enough room. If you do, we will try to figure out something else.

BTW...

How about some more info on that movie...
    How many Gigs is it?
    Is it a copy?
    Is it a bunch of episodes?

And your blank DVD...
    What is the brand and type?

What burning program are you using? Could this be an error message from that and not Shrink?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  9. flash43

flash43 Member

10. flash43

flash43 Member

11. flash43

flash43 Member

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hehe, looks like you are clicking the [+ quote] link rather than the reply button.

Click this instead:
    [​IMG]

You can edit those unneeded replies out....
    [​IMG]

13. flash43

flash43 Member

yes, I was clicking "quote". I'm really confused about how to use this. In fact, i just figured out how to get an answer to the querry I left in November. I just have to experiment with it. I'm still learning how to use the computer. In response to your question, I can't tell how many gigs are on the original Disc. It doesn't say. As far as it being a copy, I got it from Netflix. I've duplicated a bunc of them and this is the first time this has happened. The brand and type of the Blank disc is Sony +R, 120 min./4.7G. The Burning program is NERO. The original is 3 episodes. I've done many of these with no problem. This one isn't even encrypted. I don't know about size preferences. I always just go with it automatically does. I don't even know how to set those. I'll get back into DVD shrink and see. thanks

14. flash43

flash43 Member

In response to fasfrank: The DVD shrink preferences says DVD-5(4.6GB). The Target device is E:HP DVD 940d. check marks are on Automatically open Video TS subfolders and Run analyses and backup in low priority mode to improve multitasking.

The window appears on the checking disks phase. As soon as I pop the blank disk, the window appears and says, "Creating directories"
    Inside the window is says "There is not enough space to burn this compilation to this disc. Please insert another disc that has enough space" Under that it says "Media requested DVD+R/RW DVD-R/RW, DVD Ram, DVD-RDL. Media detected in drive: DVD+R". The disc pops out. I thought DVD shrink was supposed to shrink it.

15. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

janrogers
    Where it says Target size set it to Custom instead of DVD-5 and to the right of that set the number to 4350. Are you doing Movie only or whole disk. Try Movie Only.

Edit:
    What is the name of the movie you are trying to do?

16. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

In general, reducing the target size for poor media/unknown media is a good idea.... However in this case where the problem is not enough room to begin with, changing the target size to an even smaller number will just make the problem worse.

Uncheck the "Backup in low priority mode". This will give Shrink more of your computer's rescources to work with. Don't multi-task while copying DVDs.

I don't think this is a Shrink error message. I think it's from your Nero and I also think it does not see your blank media correctly.

I'd like you to make an ISO disc image of the disc and place it on your desktop. I'll have you burn that with ImgBurn.

[​IMG]

Process your DVD as you have been. This time when you click Backup! and the BackupDVD menu opens. Select ISO Image File.

[​IMG]

Then below that, click the Browse button and find your Shrink_Target folder.

[​IMG]

Click OK to start the copy process.

After it is complete, right click the folder and select Properties. Post back here with the size.

Also tell us what brand of media you are using. Make sure you are using something good like Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, or Sony(made in Japan).

17. flash43

flash43 Member

fasfrank: Thank you for investing so much time in this project of mine. I must apologize for my ineptitude when it comes to computer savvy. I've had my computer for just a few months and for a while I was afraid of it because I didn't have the faintest idea what to do with it. It truly is "hard to teach an old dog new tricks." First, I've seen this term "ISO" but I don't know what it means. I have a lot of things on my desk top but many of them were put there by someone else. How do I burn an image on the desk top with ImgBurn? What is ImgBurn? How do I put that folder that says Shrink_Target on my desk top? Beyond that I can hopefully carry out your instructions. I've been doing the DVD copying a lot but I was shown how to do it by my grandaughter, and I am just doing it all by rote, exactly as she showed me, without understanding the theory behind any of it. I really do appreciate all your time and I hope this isn't taking up too much of your time. Thank you so much.

18. flash43

flash43 Member

In response to Car.Mike:
    I keep picking up more people along the way who are willing to help. Thank you. The name of the movie is "The Rag Nymph". It is from a collection of films based upon novels by the late Catherine Cookson. It is an Irish or English series and there isn't anything on it but the movie. It has 3 episodes on one disk. So I'm doing whole disk. However, I've tried movie only on other discs and it doesn't work for me. I must not be doing it right. Trouble is the books that tell you how to use the computer don't tell you how to do this stuff. I appreciate your suggestions and will try them. Jan

19. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

janrogers
    You might consider only doing 1 episode per disk. You can do that in Shrink.

20. flash43

flash43 Member

To Car.Mike: How would I do one episode per disk? I've tried to record only part of a prerecorded disk and if I interript the burning process, none of the disk will play.