1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

False Starts Hard Disk Clutter: Where Is It?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wlloyd, Feb 14, 2004.

1. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

Hi, Frank, Herbsman, Scuba Pete et al:

Knowing that I am revealing my "true newbie" status, I simply cannot determine where giga-bytes of old files from previous false DVD backup starts. I have used Windows Explorer, My Computer to search for all of the files. Also, I have conducted some searches which yield only fractions of the quantity that I am seeking. For example, when I right click on Drive C: in My Computer, I see that some 27 Gigabytes are in use when all of the DVD backup files that I have created amount to less than 8 gigabytes. Somehow, Drive C: has "shadowed" those old files. They are "hidden" files. They do not appear as icons anywhere I visit.

Is there a tool that reveals all of the files in a given drive?

Believe it or not. . . .

Regards,

wlloyd

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Hehehe @ being honest on a naivety tip ;-)

I have Gigs go walkabouts quite often , if you have Norton protected Recycle Bin for instance like I have then all you need to do is... right click on recycle bin & [bold]Empty Norton Protected Files[/bold] (Purge All) !!!
    Back comes all of that HDD space !: ]-~

herbs

3. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

Herb:

Hey, I have been using Norton since he hawked his software from his Malibu apartment long before there was a Symantec. The problem cleared up somehow but it wasn't because I overlooked the discards. This $@&/+* system has free will. After I cycle through one or two Restarts the matter cleared.

Allow me to tell you about an earlier PC I had. I tried for years, with many calls to the mfr's Tech Support trying to account for the storage space on the C: drive. We never did find out. Some 90-100 MB was never accounted for. . . .Believe it or not. . .
    But for this PC the quantity was in gigs.

I have been corresponding with Frank with my difficulties backing up DVDs. I have a few successes, but a large number of failures.

I stopped by Wal-Mart today and picked up a copy of DVD X Copy Standard. I do not have it working yet.
    Question: Is there some way that I can issue a command to prepare a blank disk in my burner before I begin operations.

Here's why. I experience many occasions where the burning software(whatever it is) reports that the drive is not ready, no disk in drive, or no action.

My point is this: How can I check out my DVD burner drive to make sure it is functional?

Thanks,

wlloyd

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi wlloyd, Thought I might jump in with Frank, Herb, and Pete. The only blank media you can GET READY would be a DVD RW. You can format it ahead of time. Any pre write to a R media will probably make it a coaster except when using a packet writing program.

If you don't already have it, download DVDinfopro. It will give you a lot of info on your drive and blank media.

About that missing HD space. Some computer manufacturers hide their restore information on part of the HD. It sometimes doesn't show up unless you need to restore the system. Compaq was good for this and probably HP now since they merged. I think Dell was another one. Just some info for you that you might already know. Later

Jerry

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

wlloyd,

You might just put a blank disc into your drive a couple of minutes before trying to access it -

Sometimes I just shove a disc in and try to work with it before it's settled in and I receive the exact same messages :)

Pete

6. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

Thanks, Scuba Pete.

A few years ago, I burned 100s of music CDs. I became quite proficient with Adaptec. But that was then with a different PC etc.

Now, I suspect that my impatience to get cracking in burning DVDs caused me to get an inferior DVD-RW drive. But the brand I have--Pioneer DVR-106D--has a good reputation. I have many too many problems.

I had DVD XCopy Xpress, had trouble with it. Since I did not like the price for what was there, I decided to return it and use Decrypter, DVD Shrink, ImgTool. Sorry to say that I do not have much luck with them.
    I saw XCopy Xpress at Wal-Mart and decided to buy for a second time. I am still having problems. Now and then I am encouraged by successfully backing up a DVD.

But a new day is coming. I have order a monster system: Dell Dimension 8300 with 3GHz,1 GB RAM, 120 GB HDD. The dual DVD-RW burner is an 8x. I hope--By God--I can get something done!!

I am still trying to make XCopy Xpress Deluxe work. After I determined that a temp file was needed. I started moving along. I still have not burned one movie with it. Something happens: I/O error,Reading error, Can't Write.

What Xcopy Xpress lacks badly is a SAVE function so that steps completed correctly do not have to be repeated. That way the problem area could be narrowed such that eventually the job would get done.

I appreciate yours, Frank's, Herb's--and anyone else there's help.

Regards,

wlloyd

7. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

I cannot help further I'm afraid as I haven't ever gone near DVDxCopy myself , but if you are to continue with said software you might want to consider http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com

As it is dedicated solely to the forum(s) related to that software...

[Best of luck] :)

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

wlloyd,

I have a suggestion, why don't you try AnyDVD and CloneDVD - a free trial for both is available and they are good enough that I purchased them.

Pete

9. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

Thanks, Pete.

I downloaded the Little Red Fox, but I never found the door knob. . . . I removed it. I'll try CloneDVD.

Here's my situation with the other software: I do well with Decrypter and DVD Shrink. Where my troubles begin is somewhere around ImgTool. I can't find the files or I start getting little error messages about this or that.

I have read the fairly comprehensive guide from DVDR-Digest. but rather than focusing on one type of operation it tries to covers every contingency. Once I get a "clean" file to burn, I can burn much to my delight. But that kind of thing is rare.

When my new monster system arrives within a few days, I may make just as many mistakes, but I will make at a much faster rate---say 8x style. . . .

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

As you can see by my signature, I've been there for about a year and 1/2. You will have me beat slightly with your processor - but you need some more drives and enough HD space to store 30 or 40 movies ;D

Something to remember, the faster you burn, the greater the chance of errors - slower burns, the better the results -

Even with a 4X, I still roast at 2.4X.

You will truly LOVE the speed

Take that to - the forum that herbsman left for you -

They'll tell you to start playing the DVD and then open XCopy -But they may have some other tricks too -

Pete

11. wlloyd

wlloyd Guest

Hi,Pete, Herb:

I would like to express my appreciation for your patience and assistance. I am on the verge of chucking the idea of backing up DVDs. I have a new system on the way for this month. I'll need some time to get acquainted with it. It'll be fully capable in every respect. If I still want to mess around with the DVDs, maybe the new system will help.

Today, I tried my NTI CD/DVD Maker with an uncrypted DVD. I received an I/O error. Yesterday, I tried XCOpy Xpress and received a similar result.

What frustrates me is I cannot troubleshoot the problem because I cannot test the DVD. I never know if its the software, the DVD drive. or the medium. It pretty difficult to solve a problem in such an environment.

I'll visit that site Herb suggested.

Goodbye.

wlloyd