1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fast copy dvd

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by krs41, Mar 18, 2005.

1. krs41

krs41 Member

im having a problem with my fast copy dvd burning program. when i first began using it a few weeks ago everything worked fine. i usually get rid of the special features and the subtitles (and sometimes the audio if its in another language). so i made quite a few backups of my dvds, and then things started going wrong. now, every dvd that ive tried to backup in the past few days has done this...

it goes through the reading process fine and then when it gets to the 2nd stage of "optimizing size" it just stays there. it doesnt freeze, the time keeps elspasing, but the progress bar doesnt change. and the few times that the progress bar does change, it never gets past that step of "optimizing size".

im on a powerbook with the superdrive.

2. krs41

krs41 Member

come on.... no help? got one disc done yesterday (wicker park) but it took it about 3 hours (it was like 160 minutes). any help???

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Cris,

You might supply so additional information i.e. You're using a Mac and not a PC.

You could always check your transfer mode (though I'm not faniliar with Macs) see if this applies to you -

If you were using a PC then I would say, you need to check your DMA[/b]. "Ooohh, no you're not ! Only my husband or my Doctor checks my "D", "M" . . whatever . . ." No, no, it's OK, DMA stands for "Direct Memory Access" transfer mode OR as we say in the computer field, it's a really, fast way to move stuff. Many PC's today are using UDMA or "Ultra Direct Memory Access transfer mode, or as we like to call it, a really super-duper fast way to move stuff as opposed to the PIO mode. The PIO or Programmed I/O mode, is a technique whereby the system CPU and support hardware directly control the transfer of data between the system and the hard disk since shortly after the beginning of PC's up until the mid-1990's. So we want DMA (fast) more than we PIO (slow).

3. Let's check your Drive's transfer mode. It should be DMA-4, not PIO.
    Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving six CRC errors and drops it down to the much slower PIO mode.

To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager
    1. Go to "My Computer, ""System Tools," "View System Information," then System Properties, "Hardware," Then Open Device Manager
    2. Double-click IDE ATA//ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.
    3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which your burner is connected and select Properties. Now click the Advanced Settings tab.
    4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if available if the current setting says, "PIO Only."
    If the drop-down box already says, "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must "toggle" the settings. That is, change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click "OK".
    Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to "DMA if available".

As I said, If this doesn't apply to you, you should try our Mac Forum where pple who use it could help -

Mac Ripping -
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/56

Cheers,

Pete

BTW, a little word to you,

Your "Bump" was only 2 hours -

You had better learn some courtesy and patience. You'll get an answer when pple get around to you - We're here on our free time, not yours - If you don't wish to wait, then go to a $$Pay $$ site. Waiting is the price you pay for not paying a price.

Iffin' Ya want to get on pple's good side then rein in your timeline -

Cheers,

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  4. krs41

krs41 Member

hey pete

thanks for the info, but you were off on a few things.
    actuall, my bump was 26 hours later, not 2.to be so versed in this, as you obviously think you are, you would think you would know that the date is on the message. and im not sure how you didnt recognize this, but my message is posted under "dvd ripping with mac"
    . i mean, you gave me a link to where my message is posted, c'mon. also in my first post i indicated that i was on a mac. well, i said i was on a "powerbook", i just assumed that most people who were somewhat familiar with computers knew that a powerbook was a mac. my fault. like i said though, thanks for taking the time to give a response. i know im a "newbie", but that doesnt really negate that sort of response. especially with all of your complaints being unfounded.

5. vantrells

vantrells Member

i've never tried using fast dvd copy, i just use the mactheripper/dvd2one/toast method. the only thing that i can think of is if you paid good money for the program i would try sending velan a support question via their website. i looked it up and it's...

http://www.fastdvdcopy.com/en/support.php

i also used the sites search engine and it came up with a couple of things for fastdvdcopy. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/158761
    after reading the first part of that thread, it seems that the person named "fullboat2" had the same problem with fastdvdcopy, it just sat there on the compression part for hours on end... what's funny is that he was using a powerbook too. it looks like he switched his method all together. sorry i can't be of more help. you could also try a search on www.ripdifferent.com and www.videohelp.com

6. krs41

krs41 Member

vantrells,

thanks a mill for that thread, i have seen it though. yeah, its
    the same problem. ill check those 2 sites out though and get
    back to you on my progress. looks like i may have to go with
    the ripper/dvd2one/toast method also. im sure there are a lot
    of tutorials out there, i was just afraid to get into that not
    being the most computer literate individual! looks like i might
    have to. thanks again.

chris

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  7. vantrells

vantrells Member

for mac folks like us, it really seems the way to go. the guys that develop mactheripper really seem to be on top of things. anytime it seems like an issue comes up they find a way to take care of it. they must be really cool people just to give it away for free. as far as dvd2one and toast go. they really work well together. i haven't ran into any major problems or heard of anyone who couldn't get something to work. early on i did buy popcorn (because of the low cost) but it just seems a bit buggy and since i owned a toast 5 i just upgraded to 6. NO, i'm not saying EVERYONE has had bad luck with popcorn, i would just say spend the money on something that has tons of features and works well. just a for around $68 (whatever the currency exchange is for the day) you can get dvd2one.

8. vantrells

vantrells Member

another thing... read media guru's "how to" thread. it is great. a couple of things that i can share that really drove me batty early on was...
    1. avoid poopy media. you get what you pay for. memorex made me almost jump off a cliff.
    2. find out how fast your media will let you burn. even though the poopy memorex media said it could handle 8x, i could only get it to burn at 2x. the japanese fuji stuff i've been using lately has worked well at 4x.
    3. um, i guess i haven't been doing this long enough to have 3 things...miked.

9. krs41

krs41 Member

vantrells,

i spent all day today getting the software and the like together and read the how to and got it all straight. backed up my first dvd (ray) but i included the wrong audio (commentary). at least i know what im doing, and that it worked. im just glad i actually know what im doing and how to do it. thanks for all of your help. isnt there a discussion specific to media on the forum? you said that about memorex, and thats what i have a big ream of here by my laptop! haha.

thanks again for all of the help

chris

10. fullboat2

fullboat2 Member

Hi guys...yeah, I had the exact same problem and yeah I posted awhile back. Never did get a fix for it. I gave up and went back to the MTR/DTOX/Toast method. Works pretty smooth. Still have the occasional issue but all in all pretty painless....