1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fast dvd-rom for ripping

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by bolox, Jul 11, 2003.

1. bolox

bolox Member

Whats a good dvd-rom for ripping?

(I have a burner, of course it rips extreemly slowly. Searching led to a few ambigious answers from many months ago. I was hoping a patricular model or two have become favorites since then.)

2. WorldSpy

WorldSpy Member

I have a Samsung SM-308B DVD/CD-RW combo drive that I use to copy the movie to the hard drive and then make the physical DVD copy with my Pioneer DVR-104 and Nero. I do not use 321's burning engine at all. Anyway, the Samsung drive is REALLY FAST in transferring movies. Doing it this way I also get to burn at 2x instead of 1x (I think DVD Copy Xpress is copying at 1x, sure seems like it) and can remove the "ARCHIVE.TXT" and "VIDEO_TS.VOB" files beforehand so there is no "this is copied video" screen at the beginning of the movie. Just rename the DVDXPRESS output directory to anything else before cancelling DVD X Copy Xpress.

I would love to get my hands on a high quality old time 10, 9, 8, 7... countdown clock like they had in early movies so I could replace the VIDEO_TS.VOB instead of deleting it. Anybody know where I could get one?

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    I have a Pioneer DVD-RW 104 but needed something to rip faster & also so I could copy on-the-fly too so I bought a Lite-On 165H (f/w CH11) for £27:99 , I wasn't diappointed : )

4. Tosca

Tosca Guest

I got a liteon 16x for 35 bucks Americano at PCConnection.com (That is if yer Stateside.)

A tad noisy but fast.

5. jayz

jayz Member

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Yeah the Lite-On is a little noisy on start up..