1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fast Help - Backup

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by IonÅphis, May 18, 2007.

1. IonÅphis

IonÅphis Member

Hi yall,
    Got somewhat of a problem in my hands. A friend asked me to see why his VAIO was shutting off all the time and he sent it to me. Turns out right after the boot screen and the windows loading, I get the blue screen of death. There's not nearly enough time to read the actual problem but I took a picture, and found out that most probably it's data based, not hardware, but you can never be too sure. So here's the biggie, is there a way to backup a laptop hard-drive to a desktop PC through USB or Serial or Lan/Net Cable (Obviously without configuring anything, since it can't even get that far)? Some program maybe?
    If not (extreme case), by opening up the VAIO casing will I get an IDE or SATA connector to link up to a desktop PC as if I was backing up a normal HD?
    Thanks
    Aphis

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can get an external 2.5" usb case for the hd to connect to a regular pc

3. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

there are programs to help if you have a cd drive or dvd drive
    there is a program called bart pe which is a gui version of the winpe program . it runs from the cd drive and allows you to copy files off the harddrive

HOWEVER try the good old checkdisk /r first may save a lot of time and does not lose any user files

put your xp disc into the cd boot from disc...let it run setup.... choose 'r' for the recovery console and type chkdsk /r it ought to fix the problem if it's windows corruption
    unfortunately I recently had the same thing and it turned out to be ram :)
    but it is mostly a windows prob :)