1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fast Internet, Slow Downloads

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by azer95, Oct 28, 2007.

1. azer95

azer95 Member

My connection is 8megabites, Im really cheezed of because about 6 months ago i had fast download speeds on bitorrens 120kbs somtimes but now ill be lucky to get 10kbs i have no idea what has gone on whatsoever, is it my ISP (Supanet)or just my connection. I get internet through my dads computer on a network and he never downloads. So help would be needed

2. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I checked on the ISP and they are not on the Bad ISP list and their website specifically mentions unlimited bandwidth, so I do not think it is the ISP.
    Which bittorrent client are you using?
    I assume there is a router on your network, what is the make and model?

3. svtstang

svtstang Regular member

Sorry to break it to you, but your speeds always sucked for your connection. A 8 mbit connection = 1MB/s downstream, you were seeing about 1/10th your true speeds.

I assume you are using bittorrent? If so, public or private tracker? If public, then that is the reason. As long as your ports are forwarded you will achieve your best speeds....just don't expect much.

4. azer95

azer95 Member

I use uTorrent but i used to have azures but i thought that was making my download speeds slow cuz bout a year ago i only had 2.2megabyte connectons and i always used to get around 40kbs

5. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

Your uTorrent will have to be cleared through any software firewall and router in order to get any decent speed.
    You can check Portforward.com uTorrent & Routers and Portforward.com Firewalls.

As far as the client itself, the best way to set it up properly is to go to Options/Speed Guide
    and take the speed test that is linked there and then use the pulldown menu of upload speeds(listed in kilobits)
    and select the one closest to your upload speed.
    This will adjust your uTorrent settings to their optimal.

You can also check at Speed Guide to test if your port is forwarded properly. Best to use a port in the 49152-65534 range.

Also, as svtstang pointed out, you have to distinguish between bits "b" and bytes "B" as 8bs = 1B.
    uTorrent shows speeds on torrents in bytes and your ISP advertises speed in bits.