1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faster and simpler way to convert .BIN (MPEG2) files to DVD compliant format files?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by PapaPrem, Jun 22, 2004.

1. PapaPrem

PapaPrem Member

Is there a fast and simple way to convert .BIN (MPEG2) files to DVD compliant format files? I feel that the process I have been using below is too time consuming and slow. Is there a single program that does everything? Also is there a quicker method to do this? I usually use this method:

1)Extract MPEG-2 file from BIN Image with Daemon Tools.
    2)Encode the extracted MPEG file with MainConcept MPEG encoder (Choosing NTSC format and converting the audio rate to 48000.)
    3)Cut and Merge all the .BIN files with TMPGEnc.
    4) ReAuthor with TMPGEnc DVD Author (Make chapters and menus)
    5) Burn with either Nero Burning Rom or TMPGEnc.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

In the First Place you do NOT have to re-encode SVCD Files to DVD to Put them on DVD...
    You can Author SVCD"s files Directly to DVD without re-encodeing the Video and it will still Play on 99% of all DVD Players, and this way there is absolutly No Quality loss like when you Re-encode the Whole File to DVD/Mpeg2...

I backed up over 400 SVCD Movies to DVD and every one Playes Perfectly and Looks Great, and you can get 2 or 3 Full movies on each DVD-R...

First you Extract the Mpeg2 file out of the Bin files and then Merge the SVCD Files into Whole Movies..The use Tmpgenc"s "Simple De-Multiplex" to seperate the Merged SVCD"s Files onto seperate audio and Video files and then use Tmpgenc to Encode "Just The Audio" to 48000hz...
    Now you should have a SVCD/Mpeg2 Video File and an audio file resampled to 48000hz...
    Now you have to use a DVD authoring program called "DVDLab" to add menu"s and Chapters and to author the DVD....
    DVDLab will happilly accept SVCD Files as DVD Compliant as Long as the audio is 48000hz and it will Just give you a Little message saying that it will make a Non-Standard DVD out of the SVCD Files....
    These SVCD-DVD"s will Play on pretty Much any DVD Player especially if it also supports SVCD but even if it doesn"t it should still work....
    You can download a Fully working 30 day Demo of DVDLab at: http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/ ...
    You will Find it to Me a MUCH better Program for Creating DVD"s that Tmpgenc DVD Author....cheers

PS: If you have any problems Let me Know...Cheers
    _
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  3. PapaPrem

PapaPrem Member

Hi Minion. Thanks for the advice and help. I tried all the steps you stated. After my final step of authoring the files with DVD-Lab, I played the outputted authored files (in the Video_TS folder). The Video looks excellent. However, the audio is out of sync (lip sync) with the video. What should I do? By the way, the SVCD is in PAL format with a 480 X 576 frame size and 25.000FPS. The re-encoded audio format is 48khz stereo, 224kbps layer II. The original audio format before I re-encoded it was 44khz stereo, 224kbps layer II. Lastly, I live in the U.S., and NTSC is the standard North American format. However, would I be able to play a DVD with a PAL format SVCD on it? Specifically in this case, a PAL format 480 X 576 frame size/ 25.000FPS ?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, The audio is Probably out of Sync either because you used Tmpgenc"s Merge & Cut to Join the Files or when you resampled the the Length of the Audio got Changed somehow..I tend to think it is because Tmpgenc Sucks at Joining files and is Notorius for Causeing Sync problems when Joining files...
    I would suggest you use something else for Joining Mpeg2/SVCD Files, i suggest useing "Womble Mpeg2VCR" for Joining Files....

Have you tested to see if your DVD Player and TV Can Play Pal formated Files??? My DVD Player and TV can do it but It depends on the TV and DVD Player so I guess the only way to find out is to Try it, If yours Can"t Play Pal files then you will have no choice but to Re-encode the Files to NTSC..Cheers

5. PapaPrem

PapaPrem Member

My TV cannot play PAL files. I converted the PAL format SVCD into a NTSC SVCD with MainConcept MPEG Encoder. When I went to author the new NTSC compliant file, I get a message that says:

The Video framerate 29.97 fps cannot be used with the resolution 480X480

Any suggestions?

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Are you trying to Make a DVD?? Well you can"t use the SVCD resolution to Make a Standard DVD, so if you want to put SVCD files on to DVD you will have to use a DVD authoring Program that will support SVCD"s on DVD like "DVDLab"...If you were going to re-encode the File anyways you should have re-encoded it to a DVD Compliant Resolution like 352+480 or 720+480 but since you are allready re-encoded the Pal SVCD File to NTSC SVCD you might as well just author the SVCD File to DVD useing "DVDLab"....I also hoped that when you re-encoded the File to NRSC that you Changed the Audio sample Rate to 48000hz because the audio MUST be 48000hz to make a DVD.....Well good luck ..you just might need it...