1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faster burning

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Nick0414, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Nick0414

Nick0414 Member

I have a 16x dvd +/- rw drive, but when i use dvd shrink, it only burns at 8x. the dvd + r's i use are for 12x speed, so i would expect to burn at 12x, but not at 8x. is there something i need to set in dvd-shrink or on my computer to enable faster burning?

2. wild77

wild77 Guest

Faster burning can cause poor quality and compatability issues with stand alone players.If you check around here you will find most people burn at 4x.

3. Nick0414

Nick0414 Member

I have a friend who has basically the same computer and he burns at 12x. the quality is the same, at least to the naked eye. Is there anyway I can change it so I burn at that speed as well?

4. wild77

wild77 Guest

What brand media are you using that will determine your maximum speed as well.I only burn at 4x but you can do what you want.

5. Nick0414

Nick0414 Member

That's what i dont get. Everything I use my friend uses. From the software to the discs themselves. we both have the 48x cd-rom/16x dvd+/-rw drive. Its just that his burner is burning at 12x and mine at 8x. is there a setting on dvd shrink that could increase the speed or on my computer?

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

The answer to your question is yes you can adjust the speed of your burn in DVD Shrink. After analyzing is done and you select backup, you will get a menu pop up asking for several items. One of the tabs is Burn settings which allows you to select burn speed and if your media has that capability to burn at a higher speed, that speed will show in the drop down. You can select MAX or that speed shown.

I use Sony Media which can burn at up to 16x and I have never made a coaster doing it at that speed. The burns are flawless also. A lot has to do with your system and it's available resources.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  7. Nick0414

Nick0414 Member

thanks to you both. big help. my computer is pretty top of the line, i just bought it and i spared no expense on upgrading it. it should burn faster than 8x. the quality is definitely not a problem, in fact i think its flawless. i tried the sony discs and they were basically the same thing, but cost a lot more. i was just at best buy and they have verbatim (its a cheap brand) at $20 for a 50 pack. they work just as good. i bought like 5 of them. dvd+r. its worth it.

8. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Good luck and keep your eye on CompUSA for having the Sony media on sale often at 1/2 price. I paid $19.99 for a 50 cake pack.

9. Nick0414

Nick0414 Member

i went to compusa first and they only had like 10 packs of sony. my compusa could suck though. no one there knew jack about dvd burning or the dvds. some guy tried to get me to buy a 100 pack of the compusa brand for like $20. it looked like someone made them in their basement.

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

NICK verbatim is one of the best brands you can get ,its NOT cheap media its actully better than the sonys,but sony is good to.TY,Ritek,maxell,fujifilm.is also good stuff.TY being the best you can buy.

11. Nick0414

Nick0414 Member

I still can't get my dvds to burn at a higher speed. Its really starting to get on my nerves. Do I have to change the options in nero? Is there something in dvd shrink? Is there something i have to change on my computer?

12. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey nick,sounds like your firmware is restricting the potential for faster burns.My benq can get 16x out of the SONY +1-8x,in the 25 pack and 50 pack spindles. Those sony 10 packs with jewel cases suck.I have tried both taiwan sony +1-8x,coded sony d11, and the sony +1-8x from japan,coded yuden000-t02.Both batches will allow me to burn 2.4,4,8,12,and 16x if I don't double check my burn settings. The few that did burned at 16x still looked great,no errors. I still prefer 4x for my stand alones and re-rips.

I can also get 12x out of the verbatim data life plus +8x with the code of mccoo3.

The sony + and - 4x I will no longer purchase.

Dvd shrink has a burn speed option: after hitting backup,the farthest tab right,on that window is where to set your speed,however your firmware will still tell the burner the various speeds it will burn.I use to leave my speed set at max,that's when I found out those sony's can really burn fast.Now I keep it at 4x,unless I try out new media.

Many other members are getting 16x out of those same sony +1-8x.$20 for spindles of 50 when they are on sale.I'd trust the ones made in japan more than those made in taiwan,both have not produced any coasters.

13. Nick0414

Nick0414 Member

How do i change it so my firmware does not restrict the speed of my burns. i have tried setting the speed manually on dvd shrink, and it tells me the burn process could not be started at that speed, and it automatically brings it back to 8x. Also, the rate that dvd shrink encodes is slower on my computer than it is on my friends, who has the same computer. Does that have to do with the speed of my burner or something else? Thanks.

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Your media "manufacturers code" is programmed into your burner's firmware.

I don't know your brand/model # of your burner. Just go to the manufacturers site,or run a google search. You need to know what firmware you already have.I look at my bios screen when I start may pc,it's fast so you have to be quick.

Then you'll have to find the up to date version available. There are many updates for my benq,but having no trouble,I will avoid this.

You and your buddy have the same computer,do you have the exact same burner model with the exact same firmware?

It's a risky process when you flash your burner drive.You can even ruin it,if done incorrect.

There is a website i used when researching for an up to date firmware called "the firmware page".

If you can try a pack of sony +1-8x, you may be surprised.Staples have them. Good Luck

15. Nick0414

Nick0414 Member

I am confused. What exactly is firmware? Why would flashing the drive be risky? Me and my buddy have the same exact burners.

16. bardie

bardie Regular member

Firmware is like a program your burner uses to make it able to burn different types of media.
    So as new media comes onto the market then the manufactures of your burner make new firmware so that your burner can use the new media. You only use the firmware update that suits your burner.
    When installing new firmware the process cannot be interupted as if it is your burner may not work again.

17. Nick0414

Nick0414 Member

where do i find firmware updates? These updates will increase the speed of my burning?

18. wild77

wild77 Guest

The best place too look for firmware upgrade would be the drive manufactuers site.You need to make sure you get the correct drive model # or you could ruin your drive.Check out these links as well
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/
    http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

Make sure you know what you are doing this is from the firmware page

19. Nick0414

Nick0414 Member

where do i find the appropriate information for my drive? is it on my computer somewhere? and by doing this i will increase the speed of my drive to what it should be? this sounds extremely risky, do people do this often? and why does this destroy your drive?

20. wild77

wild77 Guest

Go into windows Device Manager and locate your dvd/cd drives right click on the + and it should give you your drive models.Flashing your drive is only risky if you have the wrong model # or if it is interupted during the flash.