1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fastest Affordable External Burner

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by warrock, Feb 26, 2007.

1. warrock

warrock Member

Does anyone here know what's the fastest but not so expensive external burner? I'm not really talking about burning the disc but ripping from DVD Shrink, since the ripping part is what takes time. Any brand I should look for in particular or specs?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well in my opinion the best drives for ripping are the LiteOn's. They might not be the best burners, but they are close to the top in that category as well. I can tell you what DVDRW drives don't rip well and that would be NEC, Pioneer, or Asus.

I had this drive LiteOn SHM-165P6SX (wish I still had it) and it would rip anything fast. It is going for $69 at NewEgg right now. Of course if your going to get a new drive anyway you might want to go for this one LiteOn LH-20A1HX it's only a couple of bucks more, but it gives you Light Scribe feature and I am pretty sure it will rip just as any LiteOn.

3. warrock

warrock Member

For that lite on, around how many minutes does it take to rip a dvd

4. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Ripping times should be in the 10-12 minute range

5. warrock

warrock Member

My boss' external sony is about 20 min to rip a Full Disc movie at DVD Shrink, but still faster than my laptop. My laptop is about 35-40 min to rip a dvd. So 10-12 min on the lite ons is pretty dam fast. I guess I'll check it out. Which lite-ons should I check out? And what speed should I look for in order to rip about 10 min of a movie?

6. LOCOENG

I think this is the one that Mr. Mayo recommended...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106056

If you rip directly with DVD Shrink your process will be a little longer because you are actually performing two tasks at one time = ripping and encoding.

I can rip a disc in around 10 minutes with my internal desktop drive and then DVD Shrink/Recode takes around 6-8 minutes after I've reauthored the movie and removed audio and subtitles...and finally around 10 minutes to burn. Usually less than 30 minutes round trip.

7. ripitboy

ripitboy Member

i have that liteon and i also have a LG both externals, just one complaint i have about the liteon, it doesn't work well with copyttodvd when erasing dvd-rw media. that's the only thing, it is a good burner.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Me again :)

To answer your first question LOCOENG was pretty much right on the money with that external LiteON as far as time goes for ripping Less than 12 min.

If you click on both of the links I provided in my first post it will take you to either of those drives :)

My internal LiteOn rips a entire DVD with DVDFab decrypter in under 6min.

Also you really should be ripping your disk with something other than Shrink like maybe DVDFab Decrypter like LOCOENG has already suggested.

Cheers

9. warrock

warrock Member

I rounded up within 2 external burners, the Sony DRX-830U or the Lite On Model LH-20A1HX

Which one is faster in ripping, All my blank disc are +R

Can anyone help? The Liteon's are 71.99 at newegg, is that the cheapest place?

10. LOCOENG

The Sony is probably a rebadged Litey...I would go for the Lite-On personally. Speed probably won't be that big of a factor between those two models anyway and NewEgg usually has pretty good prices and is a trusted site...shop around if you like.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I'm with LOCOENG on this one, and if ripping is what your after than I can testify that the LiteOn is faster. NewEgg is usually one of the cheapest, but better yet it is very reliable and dependable.

12. warrock

warrock Member

Ok, since the burner can burn at least at 6x speed, would it be ok to burn at 16x speed? I have 3 different brand blank disc that I use which is Fuku Film, Memorex, and TDK, which are all rated 16x speed.

13. LOCOENG

You can try 16X, but I wouldn't burn to fast with the media you are using. You can always do a few burns at different speeds to see what works best for you.

14. warrock

warrock Member

When you say media, I'm taking an educated guess that u are referring to the DVD blank disc that I'm using correct? If so what media (brand name) should I buy so I can use the 16x speed and still not hurt the quality?

Also which the memorex or Fuji Film, by burning at 16x speed, what are the side effects exactly? I usually burn at 8x but just curious if it wouldnt hurt to use the 12x or 16x speed.

15. warrock

warrock Member

When you say media, I'm taking an educated guess that u are referring to the DVD blank disc that I'm using correct? If so what media (brand name) should I buy so I can use the 16x speed and still not hurt the quality?

Also with the memorex or Fuji Film, by burning at 16x speed, what are the side effects exactly? I usually burn at 8x but just curious if it wouldnt hurt to use the 12x or 16x speed.

16. Pariah

Pariah Regular member

I have two Sony 16x Burners and use Verbatim 16x +R media. As far as I'm concerned both have been very reliable and work well together. My Sony's handle both +/-R/RW DVDs, which is also a plus, as there are still some players out there that don't work with + or -. Buy media in bulk for best savings and not from a brick & mortar store (buy online from someplace Afterdawn folks recommend, or a independent shop on Amazon). $100 DVDs for around $40 is a pretty good deal, sometimes you may find better...but it beats paying around $80 to $100 at Best Buy.

17. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Last I knew, and it's been a while since I checked, Sony was selling rebadged LiteOn drives so they certainly should be good drives.

I personally have both a LiteOn and a Pioneer, and both are excellent burners. Of course the Pioneer is locked for ripping speed so I only use the LiteOn for that.

18. LOCOENG

@warrock

Media = blank discs.

I agree with pariah...Verbatim seem to yield a high degree of compatibility and can be found just as cheap if not cheaper than those that you are using. Some people have no problem using Memorex and the likes so use what you have if you have no problems with them and then give Verbatims a shot.

19. warrock

warrock Member

I just got the burner! Newegg is super fast!!! This thing is awesome! Thanks guys, now about, Verbatim, is there only one type of verbatim that's available? I'm guessing I should get the Verbatim DVD+R 16x? Right?

20. warrock

warrock Member

How long does it take you guys to rip a dvd that's about 58% using dvdshrink? With the new liteon burner, it's still 35 min. I don't get it shouldn't it be faster? Or is that normal?

I coulda sworn the sony DRX830u could do it in 20 minutes? I just don't want to regert buying this liteon over the sony.