1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fastest Encoding Rate for Dual Layer Movie on shrink 3.2

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by coltrane, Apr 2, 2005.

1. coltrane

coltrane Member

Hi all,
    I just wanted to take a quick survey on what kind of encode rate you guys get out of DVD shrink 3.2 for a dual layer movie going from DVD drive to hard drive.

I've got a dell 8400 P4 3.0, 1024ram, 160GB SATA HD, & speedhacked BenQ 1620, that usually will peak around 11,500/KBS on a dual layer pressed disc going from dvd drive to hard drive.
    For example using this combo I shrunk and ripped Shrek D1 a 7.93GB movie in 12:53 sec.

My other computer a dell 4400 P4 1.8, 768 ram, aopen 1648/AAP seems to max out at about 4300/KBS. It seems like the drive wants to go faster but something in my system keeps kicking it back.

Please list your type of reader and sytem specs.

I'm just really curious if my old computer should be encoding faster. It seems like it should.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@coltrane, this sounds like a DMA/cabling etc issue ?

just checked and your aopen 1648 is capable of 16x dvd read speed.

(don't think the cpu is holding it back before anyone suggests that)...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  3. coltrane

coltrane Member

Thanks creaky,
    I'm starting to think the same thing. I've tried just about every other setting and software adjustment that I know of. I'm getting Dma2 and Dma4 on both of the dvd drives and Dma 5 on the hard drive.
    But the thing thats strange is using both dvddecrypter and nero's cd-dvd speed I get great ripping speeds on dual layer(13x) and single layer discs(16x). Now I know DVD Shrink also shrinks while it rips, so It will be slower than just a ripper. But my question is should I be getting more speed out of my setup compared to other people? Am I expecting to much out of my old computer?

4. creaky

your old computer isn't 'so old' :)

5. coltrane

coltrane Member

6. creaky

i do 98% of my ripping from a combo cd burner/dvd-rom drive that lives in a usb2 enclosure.. i generally get between approx 5mb/s thru 11mb/s. i don't get much different on my interal dvd burner..

am currently looking into buying a newer (larger) ata133 hard drive, and am pondering what cables i have at the mo, ie i gotta check if i've got 40 or 80 pin cables as i can't remember, without opening the case.

either way most films take only 15mins to rip (i only ever do movie only in shrink)

7. coltrane

coltrane Member

Thanks for the info creaky, sounds like you're getting about the same as me on my new computer.

8. coltrane

coltrane Member

BUMP...... Anyone else care to share their encoding rates

9. WiteWizrd

WiteWizrd Regular member

JUST MADE this week!! custom built computer.
    P4 3.2
    2048 DDR2 Ram
    2 (RAIDed) SATA 160 GB hard drives [OS, and all other normal files]
    2 (RAIDed) SATA 200 GB hard drives [Games and dvd stuff]

compressing movie with shrink - under 5 minutes

I'v never owned a top of the line computer so i decided to make one. so i went all out. i love my baby!!!!

10. majest

majest Member

Well I signed on today to find out exactly what other people are getting for rates...I must be doing something wrong.

I have a new machine:
    Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
    AMD 64 3000
    1 gig of ram
    74 Gig SATA HD (Transfer mode = Serial ATA DMA)
    PX-716A DVD-R drive 16x DMA4
    NEC 16x DVD-R drive note sure what model

Well for either one I get about 2,700 K of transfer rate. About 35 - 40 minutes per rip/shrink

Note that I did a speed test (from within Device Manager) on the HD and got:

Theoretical = 150
    Burst = 93.6
    Sustained = 65.9

Also by default read and write caching are turned on along with command queuing. Seems like my HD is the problem but what should I do about it. How does everyone else have their drive set up?

11. coltrane

coltrane Member

WOW!!!! Thats incredible.

Now is that going from your ROM or Burner to the Harddrive Or from an Iso image to Hardrive? Either way thats still super quick....congratulations on the new super machine.

12. synapse

synapse Member

Whoa, mine isn't anything like that. I have:

Intel 3.0 ghz with ht and extended cache, lga775 board.
    512 ddr ram
    Asus p5p800 board
    120gb sata Seagate drive
    Pioneer dvr-108 burner, 16x4x16

I get 3300 max with dual layer and 50% compression. With compression, i can get 5400kb/s with non-encoded dual layer.

I think i have dma 4 on, but i don't remember how to check, i'm pretty sure though. Any clue on how to make it read faster?

13. coltrane

coltrane Member

You probably are being limited by your burner. Have you done any speed hack firmware updates to your pioneer? If you have... then you can check your DMA settings in XP, by going to START, control panel, (In classic view) System icon, Hardware Tab, Device manager, IDE/ATAPI Controllers,double click on either Primary or Secondary IDE Channel, Advance settings.

14. WiteWizrd

WiteWizrd Regular member

thats just compressing movie.
    decrypting movie to hardrive still takes me about 10 min. i havnt done any speed hacks on my drive yet.

---
    but i got an off topic question for ya..im going to be puttin in some intercooler fans and stuff cuz whenever i play half-life2 or UT2004 the temp on the processor is like 150 F. so i put the heatfan to run at 4200 rpm's when it reaches that high so the temp will idle between 148 and 151. am i putting to much of a strain on my fan ya think. maybe stop playing those games untill i can afford more addons for my new toy? or is it fine?

15. coltrane

coltrane Member

Wish i could help ya out, but I only know enough about comps to get me in to trouble. I'm still in the learning stages on most aspects.

16. coltrane

coltrane Member

I was just doing some more research on DVDShrink times, and stumbled upon a forum page that was pretty interesting.

Someone brought up a good way to test if shrink is maxing out your processor...... press control alt delete while shrinking a DVD and it'll bring up the TASK MANAGER click on the performance tab and check if your CPU usage is at 100%. If your at 100% and you've got a proven fast ripper than your Encoding Rate is pretty much maxed out at that current /KBS rate.

I did it on my old computer last night, and sure enough a dual layer movie at about 4500/KBS was maxing my Computer out. I guess You just can't expect a whole lot more out of a pentium 4 1.8.

17. creaky

@WiteWizrd - all those drives must be kicking out a bit of heat!.
    ps are they just raid0 or mirrored.

65 Centigrade doesn't sound dangerous for a P4. Obviously improved cooling and airflow would improve that and you have that on the cards (My AMD 2.03Ghz runs about the same when idle, or never more than 75ish under load, ie Shrink encoding), and i think the top end boundary for this cpu is something daft like 85C anyway

@coltrane - Shrink will eat up as much cpu as you have, it's a very cpu-intensive process..

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  18. majest

majest Member

Coltrane and Creaky

Any chance I can get you to comment on my post. You 2 see anything that I am forgetting or doing wrong?

19. creaky

@majest - sorry didn't see your post up there!. I've not heard of a speed test in device manager, and i don't know what 'Theoretical,Burst or Sustaine' pertain to at the moment, so i guess it's worth checking the DMA on all devices ??

20. coltrane

coltrane Member

Sorry Majest, I didn't see ya up there either...

Have you ever done any speedhack firmware updates to your drives. You might just be riplocked at 2x.

If you have done some updates, download DVDdecrypter 3.5.4 and see what kind of rate you get by just ripping to your hard drive. Decrypter is generally much faster, because it just rips and doesn't shrink. If you're still limited to the 2,700/KBS range with decrypter and DMA is used, then I would say your drives are riplocked.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005