1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fastest method to rip a DVD to the hard drive?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by hyperasus, Mar 1, 2005.

1. hyperasus

hyperasus Member

What is the fastest method to rip a DVD to the hard drive? I have been using DVD Shrink. I just want to copy the DVD uncompressed to an ISO on my hard drive so I can watch the backup using Alcohol 120%. I have a very fast Intel P4 3.8Ghz, the latest 16x Plextor DVD burner and 10,000rpm Western Digital hard drives so hardware cant be my problem. What I can’t understand is why does it take me 20 to 30 minutes to rip a DVD but I can burn a DVD in 6 minutes. Why can the DVD drive burn faster then it can read?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Most DVD burners are locked to a 2X read speed for CSS encrypter DVDs. By default Plextor drives are tyhe same but they also have a SpeedRead function that is enabled by holding the eject button till the light blinks three times and the tray ejects.

DVD Decrypter is about as fast as it gets and also has the option to automatically enable SpeedRead for Plextors so you don't have to do it manually each time :)

3. wild77

wild77 Guest

I am using a Plextor PX-712 with Decrypter.My rip times average 10-15 mins.Make sure speed read is enabled in PlexTools also you may have to disable silent mode as well.

4. vike

vike Member

Try getting a DVD reader. I use a Lite-On SOHD 167 and I can rip a 6GB DVD with Decrypter in under 10 minutes. If I use Shrink I can rip and compress in about the same amount of time. Cost isn't much, I bought mine at Newegg for about $30. My burner (Pioneer 107d)also rips slowly, at 2.1x-2.3x and that takes about 20-25 minutes to do the same rip. If cutting your rip times in half is worth $30, then go for a dedicated reader like my Lite-On. Some other brands might be just as good, but I bought mine based on the reviews I read on Newegg.

5. Nephilim

The Lite On 167T is definitely an outstanding choice. I have one that I use for all my ripping chores to save wear and tear on my expensive burners :)

6. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

I'll third the vote for LiteOn DVD-ROM drives as fast rippers, I use an old LTD-165 and it will rip a 7.5Gb DL movie disk in under 15min using Decrypter.

7. hyperasus

hyperasus Member

OK first of all, I feel like a real newb because once I downloaded DVD decrypter and used it to make my ISO’s all my problems went away. In the past I have used Lite-on, Sony, Toshiba, LG, NEC, Asus, Pioneer, and Samsung for my burning needs, but I must confess, this Plextor drive I finally bought is DEFFINATALLY worth the double price of all those others. It works so well and it works every time. Bang for the buck = Lite-on, but the best is the best and that = Plextor. DVD Shrink rips DVDs slower with the Plextor then it did with the Lite-on and I don’t know why. But I tell you once I switched to DVD Decrypter to make my ISO’s all my ripping problems went away. As far as I am concerned anything but Plextor isn’t worth the headache in the CD and DVD burning world. Just works every time for me at full speed with zero coasters since I bought the Plextor.

8. Nephilim

Great news! Glad everything worked out so well for you :)

Plextor burners and a Lite On ROM is the only way I'll go.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005