1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fat PlayStation 2 with no power light - possibly blown fuse, but which one is it? Plus other fat PlayStation 2 problems

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Ace_2, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

Searched high and low to try and find something to help fix my problem with a Version 7 fat PlayStation 2 I have, but have come up with nothing. Basically, here's the thing: I opened my Version 7 PlayStation 2 to solder the fan's wires internally(had them soldered to a USB cable because the plug where the fan's supposed to be plugged into was completely removed from the motherboard), and when I finished soldering everything back in place and closed it up, it wouldn't turn on. There was absolutely no red light on the power button, both the power and eject buttons don't respond, and flipping the power switch on the back of the PlayStation 2 does absolutely nothing. I tried to use the power supply from a Version 4 PlayStation 2, as it has the same shape as the Version 7's power supply(but with more components); didn't work(the Version 4 power supply is in perfect working order). So that rules out the power supply. The ribbon cable that connects to the Power/Eject button assembly is perfect(multimeter showed current flowing on all pins), so that's not what broke. It can only be a fuse, but the question is this: which fuse blew? Which fuse would cause the PlayStation 2's standby LED not to turn on even when power's applied to the console?

EDIT: Since nobody's answering, I might as well move on to another PlayStation 2 I have, this time a Version 2. Everything works: DVD-ROM drive reads discs, controller ports work, everything works BUT it refuses to load any and all games I put in it. This is what it does:

PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM: crashes to a black screen after PlayStation 2 logo
    PlayStation 2 CD-ROM: returns to menu after PlayStation 2 logo
    PlayStation CD-ROM: identifies discs as audio CDs/crashes at PlayStation logo

I've done everything I know to try fix the damn thing: realign the laser(completely useless as the cog ALWAYS returns to its normal position), clean the laser, even adjust the POTs(it has an easier time recognizing discs after the POT adjustment - used to reject all PlayStation 2 CD-ROMs with DREs or the Red Screen), but no matter what I've done, I STILL can't get the damn thing to go past the PlayStation logos or identify a PlayStation disc properly. I did, however, notice a ribbon cable that looked like it was frayed that connected from the motherboard to the DVD-ROM drive. Wonder if that has something to do with my problems

As a word of note, this PlayStation 2 used to have a Neo 4 modchip(I know, it's OLD) installed in it, but when it was there, it would identify PlayStation 2 CD-ROMs as PlayStation CD-ROMs, so I had to remove it.

This PlayStation 2 is bothering me more than the Version 7, so I'd like to get this one up and running ASAP.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. smokyrain

smokyrain Active member

Wow Ace, I would have answered had I seen your post.

I guess it was summer time, so was busy.

Have you fixed these yet.

What I can give you is a list of the fuses for V7 and V2

http://site.powergamingparts.com/FuseIndex.html

And this PS2 repair guide - link

This guide explains the fuses and how to check them.

Now the white cog wheel will return to normal if you turn it too far.
    So just turn it a couple notches at a time

What I do is have the PS2 fully opened.

Put a disc on, with the white magnet and test it as its playing, turning a notch or 2 at a time.

Hope that helps you a bit.
  4. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

Oh hey, sorry I didn't answer you earlier. Yeah, that Version 2 PlayStation 2 still won't boot anything. To recap what happens:

-PlayStation 2 DVD: displays the PlayStation 2 logo, then black screen
    -PlayStation 2 CD: displays the PlayStation 2 logo, then returns to the menu
    -PlayStation CD: Red Screen of Death(does not recognize the disc)

I've redone some solder joints where the wires to the Neo 4 modchip were soldered, but the system STILL won't recognize anything. Needs new ribbon cables, maybe?

As for the Version 7, I have yet to test the fuses, since one of the old console add-ons I own, the TurboGrafx CD, is an unreliable pile of crap. EVERY DAY I have to open the thing an unjam a gear(this thing was made in 1988, mind you). WHAT A PAIN!!! Either way, I'll have some time to bust out my multimeter and test those fuses soon.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  5. smokyrain

smokyrain Active member

no problem Ace

Yeah that ribbon cable on the V2 could very well be your problem.

Wow you really have some old consoles yet, and that they work. Makes me wish I had kept some of them.

Well let me know how you make it out later when you have time. Hopefully its an easy fix.