1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAT32 4 gig file size limit solutions?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cenozoite, Apr 4, 2005.

1. cenozoite

cenozoite Member

When using DVD Decrypter to rip a DVD that's larger than 4 gigs, I notice that FAT32 won't allow a single file to be larger than that so it splits it into two seperate files, *.i00 and *.i01 instead of one single *.iso file.

My question is, if I have a double-layer DVDR that can take the whole thing (8GB) and I want to burn it as-is, how do I deal with that file size limit? Will the two split ISO files be recognized as parts of the same DVD and automatically rejoined together?

Or do I have to create a seperate NTFS partition on my hard drive so that I can have single ISO's larger than 4GB?

Note that this applies even if I'm ripping a DVD of regular size, 4.7 gigs or so, since the FAT limit is a clean 4.0, not 4.6.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  2. leia176

leia176 Member

I'm not sure how the 2 iso's will burn. Maybe someone else knows that. If you do need to use NTFS you might try 1 of 3 things:

1. Partition Magic will create a partition without having to format your c drive. You can format it NTFS.
    2. You might add a 2nd hard drive and make it NTFS. Then you wouldn't have to mess with the c drive.
    3. You can covert your entire c drive to ntfs right through windows...somewhere in Control Panel/Disk Management.

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Flatten your PC & make your file system NTFS. You will appreciate it in the future.

4. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

First of all you have to be running Windows server, 2000,XP or NT to got to NTFS. People will argue with me over this one, I think NTFS runs faster than Fat32!!. Also the biggest diffrence is file limit and security level. If I where you I would Fdisk and reload NTFS. I reload windows about once a year any way to clean things up, You know I nerver heard of a linux hard drive getting fragmented. I also agree with pulsar don't try to convert fat32 to ntfs you may have problems with that one.

Good Luck

Spacedust

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

cenozoite,

Looks like no one really answered your question properly? So if you are runing Win98 or 95 you don't really have the option of running an NTFS file system, but it isn't all that big of a deal if this is the case. Decrypter will as you have seen automatically split the file so you are able to burn it properly later. All you have to do when burning is select the .MDS file created with Decrypter and it will join all those .ISO's for you by it self. So just remember when burning with Decrypter to just pick the .MDS file and you won't notice any difference (as if you were burning one complete ISO).

6. Gringle

Gringle Guest

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

The reason I wrote what I wrote, is that I think it is the far superior solution in the long term. Hey Ho, no worries!

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I totally agree Pulsar NTFS is deffinatley the far superior file system thats just a plain proven fact all over the internet, and if cenozoite is running win2k or xp then they should change to that format. I am just guessing cenozoite is running win9x, and that is why they are running the FAT32 file system.

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i still use fat32 on win2k, but only out of habit. I'm gonna go back to XP soon so will go NTFS for a change and start from scratch. just deciding on a newer hard drive first, something slightly bigger than my 20GB!

@spacedust - about 3 or 4yrs ago i even tried out defragging some of my larger Solaris systems, which run VxFS but it used to take half the night!. Sorry i just wandered down memory lane for a mo :)

10. cenozoite

cenozoite Member

Thanks for the help and replies, guys. You're right that I am using Win98se, so it turns out I don't (surprise to me) have the option of using NTFS. I thought I could at least create a partition with that system.

However, if as suggested I can simply select the .MDS file and the split ISO's will burn as though they were one single one, that's fantastic. I will test this as soon as I acquire some DL DVDR's to go with my DL writer.

11. hijacker

hijacker Guest

I have fat32 and it doesn't split the movie file.I just open the .mds file from the hdd.I have a smaller Hdd and upgrade from win98 that why my hdd is fat32.Don't worry about the support warning, all the online guides say it's fine.Fat32 is okay.

12. Jetster

Jetster Regular member

It will work fine. I used fat32 for over a year. All ya have to do is use File mode and not .iso mode. This will split the .vob files into 1 gb chunks. And no problem. Rip and burn 8 gb DVD all ya want

13. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

After reading in here, I decided that I should change to NTFS. I went Control Panel, Admin Tools, Computer Management, then Disk Management. Disk Management shows my hd as fat32 and a "healthy system". If I right click on DM, then click on All Tasks, the "format" button is grayed-out. Am I going down the right path here, and if so, what did I miss? I have never converted a system before, so not too sure what is happening and don't want to screw up my syste. Thanks.

Tom

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Standard Windows utility that is called CONVERT serves this purpose

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without any data loss.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  16. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Thanks, bbmayo. BTW, very nice guides.