1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAT32 Problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by CaptainBJ, May 25, 2004.

1. CaptainBJ

CaptainBJ Member

I've read previous threads about having problems burining with DVD Decrypter with a FAT32 partition. There is a 4.0GB limit if you have a FAT32 partition and I'd like the picture quality to be as good as possible and I don't want to waste dvd space.

My question is, is there another program that can burn ISO files up to te 4.36GB limit with a FAT32 partition?

And if I do have to convert my FAT partition to NTFS, will this overcome the problem? I don't want to format it. I'm wondering if anyone's com across any problems "converting" FAT to NTFS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    (I did look high and low for an answer to this question before posting too...)

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

There's no difference in quality with the end result between ISO and File mode so you can simply use file mode if you want.

I believe there are such apps but I'm not familiar with them.

Yes. NTFS will allow you to work with large ISOs.

Run a site search for "fat to ntfs", there are several threads floating about that discuss it.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: May 25, 2004
  3. carpki

carpki Guest

Just a little afterthought! you don't have to format your hard drive to convert to NTFS. If you are running XP just go to the help and support on the start menu and type in 'ntfs convert' for easy to follow instructions.

4. CaptainBJ

CaptainBJ Member

thanks for the help guys. I think I will do the "convert" to NTFS thing. I am on XP. The windows help thing seems easy to follow. I will do a back up just in case.

Just wondering if anyone has successfully converted their FAT32 and if they had any problems???

Nephilim, can you tell me anymore about these other file types? do I have to use different programs other than Shrink and Decrypter?

5. daba

daba Guest

6. CaptainBJ

CaptainBJ Member

Hey thanks dabba. That links got some more helpful info. I didn't mention before that my FAT32 Partition is used as a "RECOVERY" drive. Will converting to NFTS cause any problems if I ever want to use the "RECOVERY" function? Like if I ever had to re-install Windows etc...

I worry too much don't I!

7. daba

daba Guest

Sorry, man, don't know what a "recovery" drive is. Anyway, the convertion tool is provided with Win XP, so it should take care of everything.

And if later you need to re-install Windows, you'll format it directly to NTFS!

Daba