1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fault finding equipment.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LDee, Jan 8, 2008.

1. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hello All,

I would like to find out if there are any bits of kit that can help me identify hardware faults, particularly with motherboards but also memory.

Is there anything I can get that can help find mboard issues since as many of you will know they can be hard to identify. An ideal solution would be something that I could plug into laptops also (or if there are seperate ones for laptops and desktop pc's I would like to know), and also a memory tester that can test laptop ram aswell would be great.

I have searched ebay and a few other places but havent even found a memory tester yet, some people I worked with a few years back had one but I don't know what the situation is with them nowadays with all the different types and speeds of ram... ?

Thanks.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There is a program called memtest which you burn to a CD which will test memory for you. As for identifying faults that just comes down to tech knowledge I'm afraid. I don't think there's a specific faultfinding bit of equipment.

3. LDee

LDee Regular member

Thanks for your reply,

Yes I use memtest on a regular basis, I'm more talking about the units that test modules without having to fit them into a pc, and I've heard about boards that plug into the mboard that can diagnose certain faults but I don't know where to get these or what types they come in.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

5. LDee

LDee Regular member

Yes, that's the kind of thing I mean. Looks like they don't have prices on the site, I have to request a price list.

Thanks for that link, I appreciate it.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hehe no problem, the power of google...