1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faulty 360 power connector

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Skarekrow73, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Skarekrow73

Skarekrow73 Newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm new here, I wasn't really sure where else to go for help so I signed up and I'm hoping you clever dudes might be able to figure this out.

I have a 14.2V Phat 360 "Arcade" model so I think it's a "Falcon". Basically, I get the 3 red rings and the console won't power on. But this isn't a standard RROD - I've looked through all the guides and troubleshooting steps, nothing is clearing up the mystery for me. No one else on the entire internet seems to have the same issue, or if they do it's impossible to find evidence because of the sea of overheating 360s and more common RROD variants.

Here's the catch: If I turn the console on and off a bunch of times, each time replacing the connector at the back and trying to seat it differently, eventually it works. And it will work for hours, no overheating, no other side effects - the console is fine. However, if any slight movement occurs where the power brick connects to the base of the console, it red rings. If I ever move it (for a LAN or whatever), it can take upwards of 50-100 tries to get it to boot. And rarely, due to vibration or probably (this is absurd speculation) micro-wind-currents in the room, literal nanometers of movement may occur (I'm just trying to rationalise it because it literally doesn't move or get bumped or anything) and the console will red ring while I'm using it. It's also hard to plug wired controllers in or fiddle with the ethernet cable, or basically touch the console at all...

I think the connector is faulty, but I've tried it with two power bricks that both work fine with another console, so it's the actual console itself that has the problem. Basically, if it needs cleaning maybe, how would I go about that? If it needs the connector fixed, is that even possible? It just seems so minor yet so catastrophic, surely there's an easy way to fix the issue.

Hopefully I've explained well enough, if not please ask for clarification.

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

if the actual connector needs replacing might be a soldering job.desolder the part and remove it and solder the new one in.
    Something as simple as a loose wire or solder spot coming loose could cause all them problems.
    I'm assuming cleaning would be same as pc using can of compressed air to blow all the dust and stuff out,or open it up and use a dry toothbrush to get all the dirt out.

3. Skarekrow73

Skarekrow73 Newbie

Is it possible to buy that part specifically? I can't seem to find any...

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

5. Skarekrow73

Skarekrow73 Newbie

Okay, I'll keep searching - you just linked a random parts page and an Xbox original power supply...

6. richietea

richietea Regular member

I fixed this issue with a console i bought second hand.However it was a bit long winded.As said before its the connector attached to the mobo inside the console.I was lucky enough to have a spare connector from an old board of the same type.I used a heat gun and a pair of pliers,heating the connector and slowly moving the unit from side to side until it pulls itself away from the mobo.The hardest part is cleaning the pins of cold solder so you can push the new unit back into the working console.once you have removed the broken connector clean the area up of solder with solder braid and iron and make sure the pin hole are clear for the new unit to push through and sit firm on the mobo.Then its just a case of soldering the pins on the underside.Yes it was a bit lengthy but like yourself it was the first time i encountered this problem so i used a little more patience and steadiness.I'm not sure if you can buy the power connectors but you may be able to buy a broken RROD motherboard as long as its a "like for like".

Also don't discount shorting through dirt/dust.The only way to tell is by opening it up.I was lucky in the sense i saw the pins all broken before i even opened the console up.