1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feature Request thread

Discussion in 'ratDVD discussion, help and suggestions' started by woodyear, Jun 4, 2005.

1. woodyear

woodyear Member

Post Features you think would be useful

2. heffeque

heffeque Member

It would be great to see that you could add the OST (Original SoundTrack) into the ratDVD file, that way you can have the DVD and the CD(s) all in one!

Also some bugfixing and file size prediction would be great, but I'm sure that he's already working on that :p

Hope this is useful!

3. steve136

steve136 Guest

For me this is a killer app if it will work with media centre. I store all my music on my media centre so why not my dvd collection as well. Its a lot easier than messing aroung with codecs and filters for DIVX. I known the website says this the media centre fix is being worked on so i'll be patient, but thats the next improvement I would like to see.
    Would it be possible to play ratdvd files on a pc that doesn't have rat installed, as i use a different machine from my media centre to rip films

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2005
  4. Touch98

Touch98 Member

Thank you for developing great software!

[Request]
    Please add new command line parapeter :
    /autoexit : ratDVD will quit automatically at conversion complete.

[Purpose]
    This parameter is used with "/autostart" from "hogehoge.BAT" file, when I want to convert two or more DVDs during sleeping.

5. milfzor

milfzor Member

some video optimization settings would be nice.....speed settings, for if you want a fast encode but low quality, medium quality, and slow but better quality....also if there's any way to implement something like divx has with an nth pass......that would be cool.....other than that, optimizations for playback so those with slightly lower end computers can play back the files properly (im running 2ghz with 768mb of ram and a 128mb and i still get occasional skipping in the video playback...like once every five minutes or so)

6. arisia

arisia Member

@Touch98: If you specify '/Autostart' it will automatically exit at the end of the conversion. You don't need any special parameter.

7. Touch98

Touch98 Member

Thank you arisia. I'll try it.

8. A.Petrov

A.Petrov Member

@milfzor: RatDVD doesn't need multipass encoding, because it converts video only with constant quality but not-limited size. "Constant quality" here means not "constant bitrate" - just a "constant quantizer" while preparing movie for encoding. DivX/XviD/etc use 1st pass to check video complexity in each frame and effectively distribute _limited target size_ between frames in 2nd pass.
    The only time, when 2-pass encoding may be needed is when we "unratting" video (recreating DVD from ratDVD): we should use maximum possible MPEG2-compression quality, but limited with size of DVD-disc. And RatDVD uses unique method for this, called "Virtual 2-pass". Actually, RatDVD collects all information about video complexity while creating RatDVD video from DVD source (keeps this information in RatDVD-container), and uses it to distribute bitrate while we "unratting" video backward to DVD. It significantly speeds-up "unratting" process and is almost the same as real 2-pass encoding!

---------------------------------------
    Quote from RatDVD FAQ:

http://www.ratdvd.dk/faq.htm#Virt2Pass
    What is "Virtual 2-Pass"

Virtual 2-pass significantly improves the way bitrate is distributed and the encoder decisions are made while recreating a DVD. The way it works is that when you’re creating a ratDVD, the DVD2XEB transcoder will collect information about the video much in the same way a real two pass encoder would collect information in the first pass. Obviously the DVD2XEB transcoder doesn’t encode everything into MPEG2 just to generate 1st pass information (due to speed limitations) and also due to size constraints the amounts of information that is stored as 1st pass information is limited – hence the “Virtual 2-pass”.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  9. girv

girv Member

Just tried ratDVD 0.6 DVD->ratDVD->DVD, worked great. Its a brilliant idea, so simple, so obvious, why didn't I think of it!

My suggestions:
    1. ability to skip the encode-to-ratDVD part and do a straight DVD->DVD backup operation, or instead the ability to use a lossless / visually lossless video codec in the ratDVD container stage. This would make ratDVD a great DVD backup tool. I know this wasnt the
    motivation for making the program, but consider it please :)

2. ability to use other video codecs in the ratDVD container

3. batch mode with auto shutdown

4. pause encode button

5. more speed ;)

10. A.Petrov

A.Petrov Member

MPEG2 video-codec, used in DVD-movies, is already very good compression. Uncompressed video with the same parameters as DVD-Video is about 200 GB per movie! So MPEG2 compress it in 50 TIMES. And there is no known compression technology that could lossly recompress already compressed DVD-video even with size smaller by 10%!

Why DivX/XviD/RatDVD are able to compress DVD more? They have more efficient (and complex) compression algorithms, but also LOSSY. Difference is minimal, but it is not the same movie, and artefacts accumulate each time.

11. milfzor

milfzor Member

okay, i see what ya mean as far as it not needing nth pass.....but some more control over the video settings would be nice.......also another suggestion, i read it on a differant thread so i figured i'd mention it, its appearently semi rare, but support for mpeg 1 dvd's would make this program slightly closer to perfection.....

12. girv

girv Member

Thats my point. For DVD->DVD a lossless ratDVD container stage would be better than the current DVD->lossy ratDVD codec->lossy MPEG2 encode->DVD. For this application the ideal would be no intermediate stage at all though ie: DVD->lossy MPEG2 encode->DVD, thats what I was after.

13. heffeque

heffeque Member

DivX 6 has much better video quality, but also lacks the "easyness" of making a perfect DVD in one container.

14. milfzor

milfzor Member

at least as of now it does...once the SDK is released...we will see.

15. hungaro

hungaro Member

I have a very good idea,

make it working. After it screwed up my whole installation including my tv card, sound card and media portal I am realy majorly pissed of.
    Even the unencoded file I burned on a dvd does not play. Either on standalone nor in any pc.

Thanks but no thanks, this shit will cost me hours to re-setup my whole system.

H