1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fed Up With NERO 5&6

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by zapman132, May 3, 2005.

1. zapman132

zapman132 Member

This is my problem and like many others, Nero6 after many, many successful backups just all of sudden stopped working.leaving error messages like, can not finalize disc, disc failed. Not every disc, but after two burns the third failed. After reading a few forums,I took the advice of one, and went back to Nero5, it too worked for while and now it's giving me problems with +Rs only. It will burn whith success, but when I pop it in the stand alone DVD player it states, Unkonwn Data. I burn the same movie only this time I use a -R and everthing works fine. So, guys what can this mean? It also seems to do well with +RWs. Are there other burners out there that can do the job of Nero with out all this hassel or can Nero be fixed?

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

When Nero gets goofy on me I first try to uninstall and reinstall it. That fixes it sometimes. Do you have the latest firmware on your burner? What brand of media are you using? Can you post the Nero log?

3. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Zapman132,

The problem is your stand alone dvd player, not Nero. How old is your dvd player and what brand? Keep in mind that not all stand alone dvd players can play all dvd-r/+r/-rw/+rw/DL media. Even now in the market, only a few stand alone will handle nearly everything you throw it in, but not all formats. Another thing to look for is your burner, perhaps, you might want to verify with "Nero Info Tool" on your dvd burner with it's writing/burning capabilities.

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

The problem appears to be before the disc even gets to the standalone player.

5. zapman132

zapman132 Member

No,no DVD players are very new. I have made copies before and they play just fine. Use only the best media. I really believe Nero is the problem. When I reloaded Nero5 the Wizard would only let me check the CD box. I have a backup copy of the Ahead file that I must replace after setup has been installed in order to be able to check the DVD box. I'm I missing a setup disc? Why dose NERO not recognnize the DVD burner? There is no error message with NERO5, it will burn straight threw, I don't know it's a bad disc till I put it in a stand alone. I have now removed all of the known NERO files on my computer and will attempt to reload and try again.

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I checked Nero's site for info on Nero 5 and they mentioned nothing about DVD burning. Are you sure this software even burns DVDs?

7. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

I didn't read the whole threat in details but if you are going to uninstall Nero, you might want to use the General Nero Remover.

It will remove all traces of Nero and make your PC 100% Nero clean.
    Then reinstall.

If you wish to try a different software, VSO CopyTODvd is quite nice.
    Tried their demo once or twice and it's pretty nice. (So I think).

This way, you change nothing except the burning software.
    Also remember, burning speed makes a difference :)

http://www.vso-software.fr/products_english.htm

My 2 cents...

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  8. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I think Nero and dvd burning commenced at v 5.5.9.17 or thereabouts.

Could be that your burner is on it's way out, or even a little 'dirty' inside...............

Use the 'clean tools' as suggested and see if that helps any.

May want to have a look at other software aswell if you are disappointed with it.

Try Dvd Decrypter for burning and see if that works better.

9. zapman132

zapman132 Member

Where can I get the General Nero Remover? Nero5 was my first burner.

10. zapman132

zapman132 Member

Guys and gals, this is just to weired for me. I'm burning again but NERO will only let me burn -Rs and +RWs, no +Rs. I used the NERO, General Clean Tool, re-installed N5 first, again no luck with +R. Removed N5, re-installed N6, tried to burn a +R one more time, it failed too. Popped in -R and Presto! Six backup burns without error. Come on now! What gives? It burned +Rs before. Can Nero be configed to burn them again? I strongly believe it's not the disc, it's either NERO's configurations or my burner has gone bad. Can anybody figure this one out? I hear this guy [bold]Scuba Pete[/bold] is good at this kind of stuff. Are you out there Scuba Pete?

11. hijacker

hijacker Guest

Have you updated nero from the website to 6.6 or to the latest version?. Is the version of nero a copy that came with your burner an OEM copy? I would go to the website and update your version of nero.Nero has had some issues with Service pack 2 and dual layer dvd burners.You may consider running an update because they may have resolved this issue.Of course there is always Dvd decryter.It can also burn your back-up just as well as nero.Use shrink: open disc, analyse, select burn image with dvd decypter.This will shrink and create the .iso and .mds file to the hdd. in the process.After the encoding process.Dvd decrypter will automatically open on it's on and burn the disc ([HDD]) >> (DVD) put in a blank disc and hit the button.or browse the folder for the .mds or .iso that shrink has made to the HDD.

12. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Very Interesting, Have you tried diffrent media codes(Brands) of +R. I've never had a problem burning using Nero but I only use it for making DVD data disks & CD audio disks. This suggestion will not solve the nero problem but here it goes, try using DVD Decrypter to burn DVD+R .ISO file. I have never had a problem using DVD Decrypter for ripping dvd's and burning .ISO file on +/-R media. The one click DVDXCopy worked fine for abit until the new encryptions, I've been using DVD Decrypter & DVD Shrink for abought a year now, personaly I have not ran across a movie yet that I had a problem with. There where some great suggestions here. One being make sure your running the latest version of Nero. If DVD Decrypter works for burning +R atleast you know it's not your burner.

Good Luck

Spacedust

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

posting the Nero log will usually show up the problem, even if burns complete 100%. My own quote from another thread - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3/172564

14. squizzle

squizzle Active member

@zapman: Have you checked for firmware updates on your burner? And yes, please post the Nero log as was requested.

15. zapman132

zapman132 Member

Can't find log. I look in C:\Program Files/Ahead. Am I looking in the right place? I thought I saw this log before I used Nero General Clean Tool.

16. creaky

... c:\program files\ahead\nero\nerohistory.txt

17. zapman132

zapman132 Member

Do I need to duplicate the error to generate an error log?

18. creaky

nope, the log is appended to, good and bad burns all append to the log..

19. zapman132

zapman132 Member

Sorry creaky, can't seem to find the log. I've looked every possible place in Program Files and Ahead. It's not there.

20. zapman132

zapman132 Member

Sorry creaky, can't seem to find the log. I've looked every possible place in Program Files and Ahead. It's not there.