1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feds - Against Game Pirates - they serious?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by itzjonny, Aug 1, 2007.

1. itzjonny

itzjonny Regular member

saw this on teamxbox -

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070801/customs_gaming_raids.html?.v=1

2. theridges

theridges Guest

yep..
    it was on all the gaming sites..

3. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

How surprising is it? Here's the full press release from MS & Nintendo: http://www.xboxscene.com/ - The hacking on the wii caused over $700 million dollars in damages! OF COURSE the feds are going to go after, shut down, prosecute and lock up anyone involved in the selling of mod-chips that circumvent protection schemes used to keep the gaming company's interests on the shelves and in the stores!

They lost over $700,000,000 - and we wonder why games are $60 ... who here is responsible for some of this? Thanks alot!

4. sniper78

sniper78 Regular member

Haha they know about the entire scene to, because no iso loader for ps3 yet, where were you at pdx? Well what are you gonna do about? First it was music in 1998, and what have they done about? Nothing, how come they didn't expect this and prepare for it? They kind of did trying to make security, but it was cracked. Maybe ps3 has done something right for now it's gonna keep going on until something drastic happens.

5. budro

budro Regular member

just another reason not to pirate games eh? well, i still don't think they're going to do much about it. as far as i'm concerned, they can't unless they're directly linked to pirating materials themselves, but i'm not too familiar with the law

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  6. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

they automatically think everyone who has a chip is a pirate. what happened to legit backups. It's really sad to see my tax money going to feds to catch chip makers rather than to find osama.

7. budro

budro Regular member

seriously, unless they know for certain that someone is making illegit copies, they should be spending the money on more important issues

8. sniper78

sniper78 Regular member

Just as I said about the music they haven't done anything about it yet. It's just like everything else in the usa it happens, then it is forgotten. It's just an on going cycle of bs in our society today.

9. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

But everyone who does have a chip AND makes any sort of backup IS a pirate!

That would be like saying that they think that everyone who takes something isn't theirs is a theif ... and that theives are only who blatantly rob convenience stores or banks ...

Pirating is pirating, whether or not it makes you feel good to realise that, it is the truth! You agree to certain terms when you buy an xBox or a game, and if you break those terms then you are pirating!

Taking a nickel from your grandma is stealing just the same as someone who robs a bank! Different levels of it, yes, but its still stealing or robbery!

Pirating IS Pirating be it with a backup copy or burning then selling games!

10. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

i didn't know modchips were illegal? i only though illegal copies of games was illegal!

are they illegal in both US and Canada?

11. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Some modchips are illegal, and some aren't. Chip's which come preflashed with bios which will let the user bypass security checks for booting backups are illegal. Chips which are blank or have a bios which serves a different purpose are legal. There are legal chips for the ps2 and xbox 1. Of course, if the user flashes that chip with a third party firmware which bypasses security, they just made that chip illegal.

12. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

that's a whole other argument man in to the unclear laws of DMCA.

13. budro

budro Regular member

I'm going to have to disagree with that being that if making backups was pirating, then I assume providing a place for people to communicate ideas on backing games up would also be illegal, and afterdawn is still up and running 100% legit. therefor I don't believe that that statement is fully true.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  14. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

Making Backups is not piracy!

15. itzjonny

itzjonny Regular member

^ & selling backups is considered piracy.

16. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

If you're benefiting (profiting) from the work of other's than that is piracy. And benefiting can be as minimal as making a backup (only for yourself) of a game you either don't own or do own but plan on selling once you back it up.

17. Memnock

Memnock Active member

It pretty clear according the the DMCA that anything that circumvents copy protection is against the law. Everyone who flashes their 360 is at least guilty of that. Many of the busted were not selling pirated games. Actual piracy is a different law that I'm sure some of them violated too. It was just a matter of time for this to happen once the DMCA became law.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  18. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

so are you saying it is illegal to mod your console to play backups?

19. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Yes that's now illegal in the US.

20. hugo2x

hugo2x Member

I agree its like bongs at pipe shops you can buy them legally as long as you only smoke tobacco out of them. The same goes for modchips as long as you use community made bios you aren't breaking any laws. But to me it seem Feds are looking at modchips as a piracy phenomenon.