1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Few Questions

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by PubRebel, Nov 4, 2004.

1. PubRebel

PubRebel Member

1. I remember reading a some product reviews saying that DVD Recorders often record fan/background noise. Is this true? If so, which ones are able to filter this out or at least minimalize it.

2. What kind of wiring is involved with these things? Something as basic as RCA cables or something more?

3. How would I go about converting a VHS to DVD using a recorder? Would I just play a tape on my VCR and run the DVD Recorder at the same time?

4. Can you guys recommend something reliable for around $250?

2. bruwery

bruwery Member

PubRebel,

In response to your inquiries:

1) I acquired a refurbished RCA DRC8000N late last week. It's loud as h*ll - the fans runs constantly, even when the machine is powered off. I'm not an expert yet, but I've filled six discs so far with that blasted fan running and kids screaming and haven't noticed it picking up any background noise.

2) Wiring is simple. No harder than connecting a VCR. RCA cables work just fine, or you can use S-Video, Component Cables, or even RF coax line.

I connected mine using S-Video and RCA Audio cables as follows:

A)Satellite signal to Satellite Receiver IN. (duh)

B)Satellite receiver OUT to DVD Recorder IN.

C)Also: Satellite receiver OUT to TV IN. (So I can watch TV with the recorder powered off.)

D)DVD Recorder OUT to TV IN.

3) Yep. Simply connect your VCR to an input connection on your DVD Recorder. Whatever you buy will probably have a set of connections right on the front. Piece of cake. Play the tape in the VCR, and press record on the Recorder.

Note: You can backup your home movies and such, but the DVD Recorder won't backup copy protected tapes. For that, you need a piece of hardware called a video stabilizer in between the player and recorder. I have no advice or experience pertaining to video stabilizers, however.

4) Being a novice myself, I have no recommendations. So far, I'm happy with my RCA, but it could break down tomorrow for all I know. You can find lots of reviews at zdnet.com, however, I don't put a lot of stock in them.

Good luck. Hopefully you'll find something useful in all my drivel!!

3. PubRebel

PubRebel Member

Thanks, bruwery! I'm thinking of purchasing one close to Christmas and your advice has been a great help!

4. bruwery

bruwery Member

No problem - glad I could help.