1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Few questions..

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by magus7091, Jan 20, 2007.

1. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

Alright I'm between a rock and a hard place, this is going to be helping me and a friend of mine so if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. I know here recently that the intel core2 extreme has been ripping up any of AMD's offerings, however I can't decide what to do. My friend and I are both wanting to build new systems for around $500 with some starting parts, though not much. Therefore we're going budget but preformance. For these I was thinking we may be better of with an athlon 64x2 because I don't know much about the lower end intel core 2, but I know that the 64x2 is a good proc. Anyone have any suggestions without screaming brand loyalty?

2. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

its up to you amd prices going down anyway

3. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

you can always go with a core2duo e6300 and overclock the brains out of it.

depends what youre starting parts that you are going to use

that might be helpful = )

4. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

Can I edit my title, I can't believe I would post with such a horrid title, sorry everyone..
    What we're trying to do is to build a decent system for $500-$600 US. So I need to figure out the best preformance for the best price, without overclocking. Everyone seems to be obsessed with giving benchmarks for the top of the line stuff, and we're looking budget. I was thinking about $150-$160 for the proc.

5. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

6. magus7091

magus7091 Regular member

Those do look good, but wouldn't an athlon64 x2 be better for a dual core processor? I might get the ram and the other stuff for it but I don't know about the processor. Secondly if I get athlon should I get a socket 939 or a socket AM2? The other option would be should I get the intel core 2 duo, rather than the intel pentium D?

7. Nissan101

Nissan101 Regular member

i dont really know about X2, but if you are going with AMD, get the AM2, it supports ddr2 memory which is the new standard

yes the core 2 duo is much better than the pentium D although they are around $80 more expensive