1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FFDshow Codecs...

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by tenplus1, Nov 7, 2004.

1. tenplus1

tenplus1 Member

I'm trying to encode a DVD movie using DVDx and FFDshow codecs, but no matter what s.w I use I cant get it to use the FFDshow encoders for xvid/divx/whateva... any ideas ? (the Xvid 1.02 separate encoder works ok tho)

2. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Maybe because there aren't any FFD Show encoders to speak of? FFD show is directshow decoder which plays divx and xvid content. It does not encode. You need to encode using divx or xvid.

3. tenplus1

tenplus1 Member

For real ??? oh! crap... I could have sworn that I selected ffdshow from the list a few versions ago to encode a movie, as I never had ano other encoders installed at the time... ugg!!! me bad...

4. BillKid

BillKid Member

Well that's the problem I have too. I'm trying to get an mpeg stream out of VirtualDubMod, which most people say can't be done except by frameserving to tempgenc or similar. But I've seen a number of links showing ffdshow video codec as selectable and mpeg1 as a possible output, whereas nothing I do makes it show up in my list.

And according to the guys who wrote ffdshow "ffdshow is DirectShow and VFW codec for decoding/encoding many video and audio formats" Can't get much plainer than that quote from Sourceforge.

5. Kingd

Kingd Guest

BillKid + tenplus1: Okay, my mistake, that's real interesting as i hadn't heard about using FFD show to encode video before. I know it has finally gotten back to milan at sourceforge and is heavily worked on again so perhaps something has changed with the latest versions? Try re-installing or try an older version to see if that works?

6. BillKid

BillKid Member

Indeedy! An old version does the trick. ffdshow codec is a selectable option. Sadly the output is truly poor (which makes me laugh at myself for worrying so much) and I wonder why those advocates were so pleased to get virtualdubmod doing it.

Install the latest ffdshow over the top and it vanishes as a selectable codec.

So I'm back with Xvid or DivX for stuff I'm not bothered about and frameserving for stuff I want to have some quality. One day I'm sure virtualdubmod will output decent mpeg2 and there'll be one less transcoding process. Until then...

7. tenplus1

tenplus1 Member

Thanks for the help guys... I don't really wanna go back to an old version just so I can encode video files, although it would have been nice to have an all-in-one codec install with FFDShow. :)