1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FFDShow -- Who needs it??

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by mrlewp, May 8, 2004.

1. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

Basics; FFDSHOW is a DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing DivX, XviD, WMV, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 movies. It uses libavcodec from ffmpeg project for video decompression, postprocessing code from mplayer to enhance visual quality of low bitrate movies, and is based on original DirectShow filter from XviD, which is GPL'ed educational implementation of MPEG4 encoder.

I currently just make backups of DVDs, and soon will get back to saving many hours of VHS family tapes to discs (mpeg2 DVD most likely) I do not watch movies on computer. Is FFDShow anything for me?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

FFDshow is Good if you download a Lot of Files off the Internet and convert them to Other formats and/Or make DVD"s from them.....

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

FDDSHOW is a 5 second installation and can save you a lot of hassle -- and it doesnt do anything if you already have a dedicated codec for the task so just install it! :)

4. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

If you hook your HDTV up to your PC and use FFDSHOW along with Zoomplayer you can seriously improve the picture quality of your DVD's in 480P. It really amazed me..

Matt

5. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

I've installed FFDshow. My first post "Who Needs It" was meant to be to the point way of indicating I'm uncertain of its purpose, point, etc. I've clicked on all tabs and explored options. I have no idea what to do next. Has it replaced other codecs? Do I need to tell it to do that, and which? Lost as can be here.

6. jahlah

jahlah Member

Hi,
    I was wondering about the way VobSub and FFDShow interacts. I recently run into a problem: an Xvid file with B frames didn't show up subtitles on WMP9. Yet whenever I slide the navigation bar there was a glimpse of the subtitles. Other Xvid and Divx files plays fine showing subtitles from .srt and .sub files. I solved the problem reinstalling a new version of FFDShow. Which brigs me the questions:
    1 -Do I need VobSub AND FFDShow to see subtitles on Xvid files playing on WMP9 ?
    2 -Does FFDShow overwrites former installed codecs ?
    3 -What if I wish to decode using FFDShow but wants to keep original codecs for encoding ?
    Any comments about this issue would be appreciated.
    Thanx

7. mrbean666

mrbean666 Member

This application has me stumped, just like mrlewp 2 posts above. What exactly does this program do? I installed AVICodec to see what codecs I had on my system. I then installed ffdshow then re-ran AVICodec and it did not reveal any changes - so does it really install any codecs? I need the XVid codec which is not installed on my Windows NT4 Server.

Can someone please point me to a guide on what needs to be done to get ffdshow to install the xvid codec.

8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. Check the Codec Guide i've made
    2. To get FDDSHOW to "work normally" just run the installer and dont alter any of the default settings

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

FFDShow can decode XviD files without the need to install the XviD Codec...You have to configure FFDShow to decode XviD files first....

10. mrbean666

mrbean666 Member

How then does one configure ffdshow to decode xvid files?

Based on this link - http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1 - it appears that I have to have a specific player. Is this really the case?

11. shiroh

shiroh Guest

check in the start menu, or from player under filter.

ffdshow decode mpeg1/2 ? i thought its currently broken. my version is the second latest one. didn't see a fix that concerns me, maybe next version.

12. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well basicly to configure FFDShow to decode XviD files you open up FFDshow and under "Codecs" Put a Check mark next to "XviD" and set the Decoder to "LibavCodec" and then you should be able to decode XviD files...Why can"t you use the XviD codec???

13. puiwah

puiwah Guest

I get a "16 bit MS-DOS subsystem" error when installing the 8/8/04 and 2 earlier ffdshow builds.
    What am I doing wrong here? I'm double clicking directly from Windows Explorer, as well as trying to add it using the Windows Media Player Options->Plugins->Add feature. Am I doing this completely wrong?
    Thanks for any help!

14. Induna

Induna Member

Id FFDShow used only for playing movies?

When I try to encode an AVI to MPG in TMPG it doesn't work unless I install the codecs rather than just FFDShow.

15. Phrank

Phrank Guest

16. Phrank

Phrank Guest

never mind , sorry wrong ffd program.