1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

figure this one out!!!???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pooter, Oct 22, 2003.

1. pooter

pooter Member

xp pro
    shrink 2.5/3.0
    nero 6
    sony dru-510a burner
    philips dvd 751 standalone

ok, i have had great success in backing up my dvd library so far. only one title has givin me any trouble is KIDS. i shrank and burnt with no problems at all. the disc plays fine on my pc but will not read at all on my standalone and ejects after several seconds of think time. this particular title doesnt take much disc space at all. the finished dvd-r, of the title KIDS, only takes up about seven tenths of the disc leaving an un burnt ring around the outer edges of the media side and im wondering if my stand alone is having trouble reading because of that. i have 4 coasters because of this problem. if anybody has an answer please help or if this particular question has already been asked link thread. i challenge you gigagods.

2. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

How big is the source disc? How big is the destination disc?

3. pooter

pooter Member

they are both d5

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

OK, let me re-phrase the question.

How many MB does the data on the source disc take up? And then on the destination disc?

5. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

Tiz likely the media used. Try a different brand.

6. pooter

pooter Member

ok fellas the media being used is not the problem considering ive been useing it for a while now. and to address the MB capacity, the desrination is obviously 4.7 (actualy something like 4.45) and when i sade the source disc was much smallier in information its actually 3.768 to be specific (d5 to d5). now that the air is clear about size issues i hope this will help in the conquest for a solution. so my assumption is still the same, that the finidhed dvd-r isnt being recognized due to a lack of needed burnt surface area on the media side. i wish this problem could be solver and good luck to all you gigagods in possibly helping.

7. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Good, I was just trying to make sure that a complete burn was done. Sounds like that is covered.

As far as the media goes; it may still be a possibility. I've had it happen where one or 2 discs out of a spindle give me grief. Keep in mind how a DVD-R is different from a store bought one. The store bought one has physical groves where as a DVD-R changes colour in a dye on the disc to make dark and light patches to simulate grooves. When you consider that there are over 36 billion switches on a surface that small; it's amazing that more errors don't occur.

Lately I've run into different DVD's that end up being quirky. I've had to refine by back up methods a little bit; trying different programs.

Now I am guessing you used DVD Shrink (by your use of "shrank.") I would maybe try DVD Decrypter followed by DVD2one. Decrypter is free and DVD2one gives you a free trial.

To summarize, my suggestions are:

(1) Try a different media
    (2) Try different ripping/encoding software.

8. pooter

pooter Member

Ok ken im glad youre taking the time to work on this with me, many thnx. im sure it isnt the media because it only fouls on one title KIDS. i have tryed burning this title 4 different times and each time it doesnt work on the stand alone. i have burnt several other title before, after and between this title, so it has to be that title that is giving me problems and not the media. the four fouled attempts have been devided, two time i have used dvdshrink and the other two times decrypter was used. thus leeding me to believe that its the lack of size in the title that leave a space of un burnt media on the dvd-r that my standalone may have trouble recognizing. keep in mind my pc burner has no problems reading and playing all four coasters (failed attempts for the standalone). Im at a loss for explanation and would love for this problem to be solved, its starting to become costly in a ratio aspect.

9. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

(of course, I welcome anybody else's assistance here too.)

I'm just trying to look up that DVD to find out who makes it (and therefore what kind of copy protection is on it.) Is the only name of the DVD "KIDS"? I just don't seem to see it. If that's the only name, who makes the DVD? The reason I ask is I've had a recent DVD that was very difficult to back up.

10. nuklehead

nuklehead Member

Yeah i would say that it must be the copy protection...I've got several DVD's that didnt take up the whole DVD-R and left a ring and they all play fine.
    If I come across this DVD I'll be sure to try and make a backup and see what comes of it.

11. pooter

pooter Member

well the odd thing is that i encountered no problems what so ever in the usage of either dvdshrink or dvddecrypter. yes the title is "KIDS". hummmmmmm