1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File size: before and after converting....

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by daveb923, May 11, 2007.

1. daveb923

daveb923 Member

I frequently convert .avi files of 650mb to 850mb to standard DVD format and burn 'em to watch on my home player. After the .avi is converted, it's usually about 4.2gb in size; pretty much filling a standard DVD-R. I now have an .avi that's 1.4gb in size and I want to convert and burn it to a DVD-R to watch on my home player. I'm assuming that it will be about 8gb or larger after converting and won't fit on a standard DVD-R, or I'll have to split it to 2 discs. Is it possible to get it on a single DVD-R??? If so, How??? I'm pretty sure that my home DVD player does NOT support dual layer discs (it's kind of old- about 2 or 3 years).... I went thru hell to get this .avi downloaded successfully and I'd REALLY like to watch it on my big screen TV... Any help will be greatly appreciated!!! THANX!

daveb923

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

All home DVD player support dual layer disks, otherwise they could not play ordinary pressed DVDs, as these have dual layers!

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  3. daveb923

daveb923 Member

Oh! That's good to know!!! I guess I can use a dual layer DVD-R if needed, but I have a ton of standard blank DVD-R's (4.7gb) laying around... can I convert this 1.4gb .avi to standard DVD format (using AVI2DVD or something similar) and keep it under 4.7gb??? I'd rather not go out and buy some DL blanks for just one burn; I'm poor dammit!! ;)

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

If you set the disk size to 4.7 GB or "DVD5" or whatever designation the DVD app uses, you should get useable results.

5. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

The original filesize is determined by the runtime and the original bitrate. The size of your DVD is determined only by the original runtime. So the fact that a file is 700MB or 1.4GB's makes no difference. Only its runtime and the bitrate that you set will determine the size once converted.

6. daveb923

daveb923 Member

Thanx for the info.... very helpful. I used DVD Flick (perhaps the BEST free conversion/DVD burning app available IMHO) and it worked perfect. I just figured that since most my .avi's are in the 700mb to 800mb range and end up being 4.3gb after converting, that a 1.4gb .avi would end up being 8.6gb after converting. I was wrong, and I'm happy that I was wrong!! Anyway, thanx for the info. You folks here at Afterdawn always seem to clear up my DVD questions. Thanx alot!!!!

daveb923