1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File Size Question

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by newsdude1, Oct 12, 2004.

1. newsdude1

newsdude1 Member

I just started to use DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter and it's been working great. I've burned 2 discs that looked great but I ran into a problem yesterday. I wanted to make a backup of my copy of Braveheart, I got rid of the extras and unneeded audio and subtitles. I also made a specific folder for my rips to go into. Anyways my file size is set to custom at 4200mb and when I go to backup it says file size is to large for the folder. Not by much but it is too big. My question is how my folder can only hold a certain size file? Is there a way around it aside from making my rip smaller which I don't really want to do. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Howdy, doody newsdude1,

I think you've got you size too low. Default for DVD Shrink is 4464MB, IMHO, too high. I set mine at 4360MB and that seems to be fine. If the DVD is HUGE, I might for a 1 time thing let it out to default BUT to date, it's never happened and I'm probably around 3 to 400 mark using DVD Shrink.

Burn on my friend, burn on -

Pete

3. newsdude1

newsdude1 Member

The thing is I have it set to rip to 4200mb. When it goes to rip the DVD it says the file at 4200mb or so is too large for the folder. I wanna know why it says I have a limit to the folder size. I had no problem ripping a 4300mb + file from another disc. THe only problem I have is with the Braveheart one. I've created different folders to send it to with the same error.

4. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

Is your hard drive FAT32 format?
    I'm guessing that you're creating an ISO for Decrypter to burn. FAT32 won't support a single file larger than 4GB in size. ISO=single file. Target 4200 MB=larger than 4GB.
    If your system is FAT32, then you have a few options that I know of.
    1) Reset your target size
    2) Reformat your drive to NTFS-Only Windows XP, 2000 and NT support NTFS.
    3)Use a tool like partion magic to create an NTFS partion on your HD.

These are probably not your only options. I have no experience with FAT32. This is just based from what I've read in the forums here.

5. newsdude1

newsdude1 Member

I'm not sure about the Fat32, I'm not exactly a computer expert. I think its only doing it with this disc. I've made 2 others with the file size larger than 4200mb without any problem. It's not really a big deal. But thanks for the help.

6. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

It's fairly easy to find out what format your drive is. Click start- my computer- Find your hard drive (usually C:- right click on it and choose properties. It should say either NTFS or FAT.
    If I had read your post more closely I would have seen that you had no problem with a 4300MB file. Oops ;P .
    Do you know how much free space you have on your Hard Drive?

7. newsdude1

newsdude1 Member

I have like 40gb open so space isn't an issue. It's just really weird. I think it's telling me that the folder is too small. I haven't tried anything else cause I'm waiting for some media to come in the mail. It's not a big deal cause I'v seen Braveheart a million times. :) I'm just afraid it might be an issue down the road on a different long movie.

8. newsdude1

newsdude1 Member

BTW I chesked and it's NTFS.

9. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

ok, I'm just puzzled by it though. I did braveheart in reauthor mode and had plenty of room left for compression. So I wouldn't think your 4200 would be too small. Any reason your shooting for 4200? I guess you should jump back over the 4300 mark like Pete says. Guess I learned something new too. Gotta love AfterDawn, always learning new things.

10. newsdude1

newsdude1 Member

Yeah this place has helped me a ton. I've only been buring for a week or so. I got my DVD burner last year for christmas. I tried burning with roxio with no luck, then I tried shrink and didnt know how to burn. I gave up for a long time. Then I found this place and found the right software (Decryper + Shrink)and I was burning away. I didn't think it could be this easy. In fact I just recieved 25 Riteks today. I thank you guys for your help, without Afterdawn I'd still be staring at my burner in confusion.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there newsdude1,

(a LIGHT goes on -)

Acchh Hemm, Pardon me but did you delete Roxio ?

Roxio could ruin a perfect rainbow -

Let's try to uninstall Roxio so all the rest of our software will operate as it should :)

Because we can't get rid of Roxio even with an uninstall, we'll need this little guy to get all it's tentacles out of our system -

Remove all types of Roxio tentacles and tendrils with Roxio Zapper -

Find it here:

http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

Once you've done that, reboot your PC to "flush everything out of your PC's system :)

Let's see if things now run smoother -

Pete

12. hijacker

hijacker Guest

If the file is small enough and on the hard drive take open up nero instead and click dvd video > video_ts folder > browse for file and place > burn.If it's too big you'll know in here too

13. hijacker

hijacker Guest

you make be getting two copies of the same movie on the Hdd.Create a blank folder for shink for it's directory of the compressed ISO file.

14. hijacker

hijacker Guest

one back up folder created from decrptor and a back up on the HDD from shrink from the same file.Create a new folder and send the shinked files to the new folder you created and then use decyptor to back up with the ISO write and find your zipped file with the .ISO ext,

15. newsdude1

newsdude1 Member

Actually I tried it yesterday and it worked fine. I dunno what the deal was. I will be uninstalling Roxio. The problem is now that I ordered 25 Ritek G04's DVD-R discs and my stupid burner won't write to the, It says incompatible media. I was burning to Memorex +R's that I had laying around with no problems. So I ordered a Ritek +R sample and hopefully they'll work. I have a Sony NEC ND-1300A burner and it says that it writes to -R's. I was reading around here and saw some other people having the same problem. Is this a common one? It kinda sucks if my burner only works with +R's cause though they're not alot more they do cost more.

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi newsdude1,

Many pple, including me have had problems with NEC burners. I started using RiData +R discs which are G04's also. I tried some TY and some other high priced -R discs and one or two did work BUT mostly, I stuck with +R discs. IMO, NEC doesn't believe in "Truth in advertising." The bottom line is, if there is just one mfg. of -R discs then they can list their burners as "Dual format" DVD's.

Cheers all,

Pete

17. newsdude1

newsdude1 Member

Yeah I wish I knew the NEC models weren't -R friendly BEFORE I spent the money. But oh well.