1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

File size too large!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by LostOne33, Oct 11, 2004.

1. LostOne33

LostOne33 Member

I got a lil probleme with dvdshrink... when i try create an image of a movie from the vob files (namely StarWars episode VI) it gives me a 6 gig file. The problem is that it seems like the compression rate won't go below 82%, but to fit this movie into a blank dvd-r i'd need to compress it to 48%. How could i set the compression rate below that? I tried the custom compression mode but i wont let me change the % of compression.... help!

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi lostone33,

There is setting in DVD Shrink, edit, preferences then target size, make sure this is set at 4360MB or at default (I hope you're using recommended media ).

Then after Shrink has analyzed your DVD, select extras and un-Referenced materials set custom compression to Max. Un-check all audio except AC3's and 5.1 (make sure DTS is un-ticked, the same with director's cut and any foreign languages) -

Now you should have plenty of room -

Cheers,

Pete

PS Next time head over to the "Newbies forum" and hunt up a guide for DVD Shrink, it will tell you all about this "good stuff" (Lol)

3. LostOne33

LostOne33 Member

wow thanks mr n00b helper but you didn't help me at all
    i know how this program works because i use it a lot... but it's the first time that i got this problem... the compression rate won't go below 80% but i need it to go below that and i wanna know why it doesn't go below that and how can i change that? and btw my settings are already good...

4. Veblin

Veblin Active member

You are the one asking for help, so I think you should get rid of the attitude. If you were as good as you think you are you would have easily figured this out, or you could have used the search messages link above and found the answer in a few minutes, instead of waiting a few days.

There is a limit to how much compression that DVD Shrink can apply in one operation. If you can't remove more or don't want to remove more, then you will have to Re-Shrink.

Shrink the first time to a hard drive folder, then Open Files and Shrink again.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004
  5. LostOne33

LostOne33 Member

mmm i tried to reshrink a folder that i had already shrinked but it just gives me a folder that is the exact same size as the original...

bleh .. why can't it be as simple as clonedvd where you can just compress as much as you want in one shot instead of removing features and reshrink.. bleh stupid program.. now i remeber why i stopped using it

6. Veblin

Veblin Active member

[bold]Not Possible.[/bold] Not if you are doing it correctly.

You are either not using any compression on one of your Shrink steps, or you are mixing up your folders.

Maybe you should make folders called Shrink 1 and Shrink 2 to avoid confusion.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Huuummm, )

Perhaps you don't know everything -

If you use "custom" compression to the Max WITH DEEP ANAYLSIS, and probably Maximum Smoothness on the Quality Enhancement section in order to keep the best quality then, as Veblin suggested, save it to "Folder 1" THEN grab that folder from "Folder 1" and run it through "Custom" maximum compression again, the folder will not be the same size.

Keeping all the extra audio files must be awful important to you to get so pissed at the thought of losing even 1 of them - each to his own -

Cheers -

"P"

8. LostOne33

LostOne33 Member

i tried again and again and still i got the same size!
    The first time it compress from 8.7 gig to 7.8 gig but then if i try to compress it one more time with all the best compression settings and running a deep analysis i'm still getting a 7.8 gig folder (i'm at the 5th try now:p)
    i don't understand... there must be something i'm not doing right but i don't know what it is... and btw... isn't there a way to enter the compression ration we want else then using the slidebar that won't go below 82%! I want it down to something like 60%!
    thanks

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

OK, I re-read your posts, and I agree, it's not right.

Let's see what I have and what you're doing, OK ?

1. You have Star wars in a VOB format.
    2. You have picked it up using DVD Shrink version 3.2.15 using "Open Files."
    3. The files are in a VIDEO_TS folder with all of your .IFO's, BUP's and VOB's.
    4. The size of this folder is 6GB.
    5. You have gone into extras (I don't remember if there were any BUT if there were, you used Max.compression.)
    6. You went through all audio streams and "un-ticked" any you didn't need.
    7. You went back to main movie and selected "Custom" compression and it won't go below - 82% ??

NOW, where did the 8.7GB project come from ?

You're right, I don't understand -