1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

file sizes

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ked007, Jan 27, 2003.

1. ked007

ked007 Member

I've got 4 mpg files that are 926MB each, But when I use myDVD to burn them, they turn into 2.62gb each. Am I messing something here?? I really don't want to make the DVD then re-encode the vob files to fit on one disk. Is there a program out there that will make a 926mb (or close) vob file out of a 926mb mpg??

2. dvmaestro

dvmaestro Member

this would be my best advice especially to save you time and money (cause time is money isn't it?) go ahead and proceed in myDVD and let it transcode the mpg files to the proper format. Once myDVD has create the VIDEO_TS folder on your computer, exit myDVD. I know you don't want to encode the VOB files but this method i've found will encode all your VOBS in 30 minutes or less. Go to http://www.dvd2one.com, this program is simply amazing. It's able to compress any movie regardless of size and without sacrificing quality, to fit on one dvd-r. problem is you have to purchase the software it's 43$. which isn't bad considering all the time you save transcoding your VOB's. Once you have transcoded the VOB files, create a dvd image file in nero. Then insert your dvd-r and burn the image. you should then have a perfectly working dvd. also another method you might want to do and i have done this as well with my home videos is take Flask MPEG (http://go.to/flaskmpeg) and re-encode it to about half the size it was. considering myDVD is taking each file and creating it 2.5 times larger than the original. you need to encode it enough so that it will convert them to about .99 MB a piece. so you would probably want to get the individual mpg files down to 399 MB a piece. which with a decent system shouldn't take all that long. You can also use TMPGEnc (http://www.tmpgenc.com) but I personally prefer Flask. hope this helped you. feel free to ask any more questions! -tm

3. ked007

ked007 Member

thanks for the info
    I gave the trial version of dvd2one a shot, vary simple program, and fast, vary fast. makes you wonder why other programs are soo slow. The trial only lets you do 30min of video so I guess i should look into getting a full version.
    Just one more question. What program is the best for joining mpg together.. say for example 4 mpg files into one movie ;)

4. dvmaestro

dvmaestro Member

when i want to join two or more mpg's together i use adobe premier, you can download a demo from adobe.com it buy far is one of the most powerful video editors out there! by the way dvd2one is $43 -tm

5. malum

malum Regular member

"It's able to compress any movie regardless of size and without sacrificing quality"

Well that isn't strictly speaking true you do sacrifice quality, more so than other proper encoding methods it would seem (but I haven't tried it that's just anecdotal evidence)

6. dvmaestro

dvmaestro Member

just try it you'll see...don't speak before you know. it kick's CCE's ass and defenitley REMPEG2. dvd2one is simply a miraculous innovation. by the way, it doesn't transcode the movie. -tm

7. malum

malum Regular member

It might kick CCE's arse in terms of time but given that it takes 20 minutes to 'compress' a film it cannot possibly be doing as good a job as CCE does quality wise. Given that I sleep for eight hours every night, encoding time isn't a big issue, it's not like I'm knocking out multipe films a day here.

Do we know the method by which it shrinks the film?
    Until I know the details of how it does it without re-encoding I remain sceptical, regardless of reports from others.
    I have come to the conclusion that most folk wouldn't know quality from their own backside.

I will give it a go if I get a chance

8. dvmaestro

dvmaestro Member

all i can say is that i wasted big money on CCE when i bought it, and i've done it all. up to 9 passes per movie. i was sceptical as well before i bought dvd2one, it totally blew my mind when i saw the incredible job it had done! my wife is addicted to ebay and when CCE was running i wouldn't let her on it...so this little piece of software saved my life! :eek:) all i'm sayin' is don't knock it before you try it! spend the 43$ on it, you won't be dissapointed! by the way it also kicks dvdxcopy's ass which I bought as well! -tm

9. malum

malum Regular member

I'm not knocking it.
    I was just stating that to say you don't sacrifice quality is misleading because any method that takes a film that's over 4.3Gb and fits it on one disc is reducing the quality, whether or not you notice it is another matter.

10. malum

malum Regular member

Well I tried it.
    Minority Report at 2hours 19 minutes.

Very obvious drop in quality.
    Further comments in the dvd2one thread in the main DVD authoring forum

11. dvmaestro

dvmaestro Member

well that's odd, i bought minority report, it was the first movie i used to test dvd2one, i played both on two separate televisions both with identical connections and both played identically. if i watch a regular dvd and study the movie i can see all kinds of imperfections. dvd is not perfect and far from it, so more than likley you are seeing what you'd normally see on a regular dvd if you look hard enough. another interesting fact, i ran a bit rate calculator on both set of vobs, before and after and both bitrates are identical. go figure -tm

Last edited: Jan 29, 2003
  12. malum

malum Regular member

Are you saying that compressing a film that is 6Gb to 4.3GB produces no drop in quality?
    This is an impossibilty you are removing information.
    You may not notice but any shrinkage will produce a drop in quality whatever method is used.
    You may not notice it.
    To me with this program it was immediately apparent, others have also noticed this

13. dvmaestro

dvmaestro Member

i understand compression. but try this, take an mp3 encoded at 192kbps and listen to the original and tell me where the quality is lost. -tm

Last edited: Jan 29, 2003
  14. malum

malum Regular member

It's lost all over the place, It really depends on what you listen to it on.
    This is however beside the point. I notice a large differrence when compressing this movie using this method.

I can also tell the differrence betwwen an MP3 encoded at 192kps and a CD but I have to really concentrate. In the above example the differrence slaps you round the face

15. dvmaestro

dvmaestro Member

i just guess i value my time more. i'd rather have a movie that can barley be noticed it's been compressed, than to wait 3 hours for CCE to do what this program does in 20 minutes. -tm

16. malum

malum Regular member

And that is your prerogative
    As I said earlier I leave it running and go to bed so the time isn't really an issue. If I wanted to rip and burn 4 films a day then time would become an issue for me also.

At the back of my mind is also the fact that I would like my DVDs to look good If I ever upgrade to a socking great Plasma TV or a digital projector, I expect that the quality drop would then become even more apparent